Gerryd's regulator build thread

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Left C;61628 said:
A mint condition VTS253A-1993 from mrmotorcycles used to cost $20 plus $9.30 shipping. A new one was $50 to $60 plus $9.30 shipping.

It is a shame that the rest of these excellent regulators were palletized and shipped to Malaysia.

I haven't seen Swagelok's brass components. It is terrific to know that they look great and that they are well made.

That is a shame that they sent that pallet to malaysia. How come they were selling them so cheap a while back?
Good thing you can still get them new from nuaire, but you're paying retail. still, retail is cheaper than a new victor VTS253B-320 by about $30.

That's one heck of a deal, imo.

Yeah, Swagelok's fit and finish is about as good as it gets. That goes for stainless as well as brass. Haven't seen better quality anywhere. The brass parts are made in holland, germany, and the USA.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Matt F.;61631 said:
... How come they were selling them so cheap a while back?
This is one of the reason why I started messing with two stage regulators. They were cheaper than the beer regulators and a far better device for our use.

$20 to $40 was the normal price for a two stage regulator. It stayed that way for over a year. Then one "nut" posted a two stage regulator for sale already set up for aquarium use. He posted a link to the Victor thread on TPT. He had a big add about two stage regulators by lifting some of the comments in that Victor thread. After that, the regulators prices on eBay shot up. They practically doubled their selling price after that. It seems that a lot of regulator sales people saw that add because just about everyone raised their prices after that. Some sellers even asked people if they were going to use it for aquarium use.

The cheapness and the workings of a two stage regulator is what "got the ball rolling." We found that we could build our own quite a bit cheaper than what the people charged that were selling already built single stage aquarium regulators. Since the regulators were so cheap, this allowed room to get a higher quality needle/metering valve. Sometimes Swagelok metering valves were dirt cheap. The cheapness of building our own allowed a lot of people to get into CO2 that normally would not have because the cost was prohibitive. This low cost feature opened the pressurized CO2 doors for a lot of people. Even quite a few of the "salty folks" got in on these two stage regulators.

Later own, some people wanted to purchase new regulators from the vendors and manufacturers. This drove the cost up quite a bit, but it was what they wanted and they were well pleased with the results. For our use, two stage regulators are hard to beat.

I built a two stage regulator for around $80 including shipping one time. It was a VTS253A-1993 regulator with a Clippard solenoid and a Swagelok metering valve. The most expensive part of the build was the solenoid. I got it from one of the vendors on the forums.

Matt F.;61631 said:
Yeah, Swagelok's fit and finish is about as good as it gets. That goes for stainless as well as brass. Haven't seen better quality anywhere. The brass parts are made in holland, germany, and the USA.
That is great news! Thanks a bunch. I was looking for a vendor that had nice looking brass fittings. The ones at my local plumbing supply do not look good, but they aren't expensive either.

Last edited by a moderator:

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Thanks for the pics and the info guys. I have an used 253a who will be send for a complete rebuilt. It works but, I would like it rebuilt like new if possible.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Gerryd--

You're going ot need this "How-To" when you receive your regulator. The fittings (part numbers that Left C had) are the correct ones for the 4mm/6mm tubing). My STainless units came today. Your brass ones are still being made (lead time).
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8226-How-to-use-Swagelok-tube-fittings

I converted mine already:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...m-JBJ-bubble-counter-to-Swagelok-Tube-Fitting

Also your IDEAL VALVE came in today!!!
idealvalvegerryd001.jpg

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Great so far

Matt,

I have read all of your thread updates...I like how you have cross linked them :)

I think the hose barb assembly is the bomb..it is just as I had hoped it would be. I knew that such a thing was possible. Thanks again to Leftc and yourself for all your research! I am pleased to see the assembly on your personal rig and they both look great. Nice job! I am glad we went in this direction originally..The inline bubble counter is much better IME...

I need to see some pics of the needle valve please if it at least the box can be opened :)

Question:

1) How difficult would it be to make this a dual manifold assembly? We can discuss this privately in more detail re cost and labor... but just give me an idea of difficulty..is it just more parts and assembly time? Seems like it...

I was thinking of using both on my 180 and using two SMALLER rio needle wheels for c02 one at each end....one nv per rio

And would also provide the future flexibilty to run a second tank off the same rig....I like that..

Understood it would delay delivery lol

I really appreciate all the extra effort that went into the hose barb assembly as well as the overall build. I know this rig is going to be built with very high quality components, excellent assembly, and will last for my lifetime at least!

Nice also to hear you speak so often of the quality of each fitting or component. Even the pics show very high precision machining. I used to be an auto mechanic and I know the difference....I can't wait to get it....

The other nice thing is that folks can build this same rig for themselves very easily with all of the information you have documented so far and which Leftc keeps adding to...I know you already threaded your own 1993 build...

I may even try my next one myself using this thread as my bible...

Thanks again...

Gerry.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
I'll post pics in the next hour of your Ideal Valve. Up until this point, I kept it sealed in the box.
I'm also going to send you all the original invoices thus far
e.g.
aquriumplants.com
nuaire
ideal valve
Check your pms for a confirmation of your address. Should go out tomorrow afternoon (after I get off work).

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Looks like aquariumplants screwed up on your address. I'm going to send off the invoices to your listed address at paypal.
Please let me know when you receive the invoices.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Just got a notification that your check valve will ship soon. Pics to come. All we are waiting for now is the tube adapter and fitting.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Matt,

The ideal valve looks sweet! Thanks so much for all of the pics...I do think your SS model is more attractive....

Great news on the swagelok parts...I would expect you to have them early-mid next week based on the speed with which you recieved the other parts from them...it was 2 days as I think you got them on 1/25...

So, your initial post was 1/23. So, even with all the extra effort on the hose barb assembly, less than 3 weeks to find, order and recieve all the parts. Not bad IMO...

Thanks again for all...

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
All,

No manifold will be added. Build will continue as originally designed and agreed to.

I apologize for the interruption and now return you to your normally scheduled thread.

Later!

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
You check valve came in. I just made the connection that ADA is to planted tanks as swagelok is to pipe fittings. You can tell the quality and care of the product by the way they package the special order items.

swagelokcheck001.jpg

swagelokcheck002.jpg

swagelokcheck004.jpg

swagelokcheck005.jpg

swagelokcheck009.jpg

swagelokcheck011.jpg

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting the check valve arrival and unwrapping. I am a little envious as I and my cats like to get and open packages...they usually like the box better....

They do look like high quality for sure....I envy you working with them....

A question and a request or two if I may...

Question/Request: I would like to get 10-20' of very high quality c02 tubing (dark preferably) that would fit my barb assembly. Can you give me the correct id/od diameter sizes again and make a recommendation please?

Request only: Can you please make one post that lists all of the part numbers and perhaps a link to each? In order of assembly would be great. This along with the upcoming build documentation would make this an absolutely awesome thread....

Question: Can you recommend a high quality cga 320 fitting washer for the reg/tank connection? High quality all the way :) I'd like to have a few onhand...

And please stop posting your stainless parts...:) I am tempted to spray paint mine when the rig gets here lol They are really nice....

Let me know.

Thanks as always.

Gerry.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Parts List:

1) Victor/Nuaire VTS253A-1993
http://www.scientificvisions.com/ca...ducts_id=52&osCsid=3lbrqre0j7338oe8a7u48fqu35

2) Swagelok 1/4" x 1/8" Hex Reducing Nipple
Part Number: B-4-HRN-2

3) Swagelok 1/8" Street Elbow
Part Number: B-2-SE

4) Bukert Solenoid Type 6011 (Viton)
Part Number: 00456786
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Burkert_Brass_Solenoid_Valve_Type_6011_p/bu6011.htm

5) Swagelok 1/8" hex nipple
Part Number: B-2-HN

6) Ideal Valve
Part Number: V52-1-12
http://idealvalve.com/ (Call Bill at listed number on site. Site is down)

7) Swagelok 1/8" hex nipple
Part Number: B-2-HN

8) Swagelok Check Valve (female threads)
Part Number: B-2C4-1/3

9 & 10 work together

Swagelok Tube Adapter (locking):
For 4mm (ID)/ 6mm OD tubing (these parts work together to lock the hose on the barb):

B-6MO-1-2
and
B-6M5-4m

For washers, I use Permaseals, but I have about 30 nylon, teflon, and plastic washers in case the permaseal isn't so perma...lol

Perma-Seal:
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Perma_Seal_co2_cylinder_to_regulator_seal_p/perm1.htm

Reg washers:
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Replacement_Washer_Solenoid_to_Co2_Tank_p/pr1402.htm

You will need 4mm/6mm (ID/OD) tubing for your rig.

Left C has a great source for CO2 resistant tubing. I think it comes in many colors. ADA has some in a variety of colors in the right size. 4mm/6mm is common. JBJ bubble counters come with a 4mm tube fitting on top.