General plant concerns and questions, my 29g *pics*

ir0n_ma1den

Prolific Poster
Oct 8, 2007
NoVA
I've posted this in my journal on APC and TPT, and have decided to post it here as I have some questions and concerns.

A little bit of an update:

First, I bought some stems of Red Ludwigia at Petsmart as suggested by people on this board. Things seem to be growing as my Rotala's tips are now a bright green.

But I do have a few concerns:

When I received the Blyxa, it had transparent leaves, those are peeling off and I can now see some healthier looking leaves. I am guessing that this is just a melting stage, right.

DSC00402.jpg

My Cyprus Helferi's long leaves are all turning yellow brown, so they are definitely dying, but there are smaller green leaves at the base. I am also guessing that this is just a melting phase, right? Also, on the small baby plantlets, I am getting this white fungi looking stuff on the grain part of the plant.

DSC00403.jpg

ir0n_ma1den

Prolific Poster
Oct 8, 2007
NoVA
And the last part:

I haven't witnessed any pearling yet, so do you think I should turn up the CO2? Another thing about my CO2 is that the diffused bubbles are cling to the water's surface. I don't know if this is good or bad.

On the brighter side of things, here is an FTS:

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

thanks

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Remove the spray bar.

Have the flow go along the top back wall of the tank, then down, blasting the mist from the diffuser all over.

That should help a lot.

Not sure what the light is.

Regards,
Tom Barr

ir0n_ma1den

Prolific Poster
Oct 8, 2007
NoVA
The diffuser is now directly under the intake, but I may end up taking out the diffuser and just sticking the tubing in the intake.

The lighting is 1x65w.

I'll remove the spray bar and see how my tank reacts.

thanks

ir0n_ma1den

Prolific Poster
Oct 8, 2007
NoVA
I just added this update today:
Heres a bit of an update:
I have been fiddling with the equipment and I like it so far. I took off the spray bar like Tom Barr told me to, I moved the heater down, and I took out the diffuser. without the spray bar, I am getting good flow and a 100% CO2 diffusion. I can finally start to see pearling!
DSC00418.jpg

some not so good news:
I am pretty sure the macrandra is dead/dying, but thats not a big problem. I am also getting this white fuzz stuff on my cyprus and some other plants.

DSC00421.jpg

I got a reply by one person that said I might have mistook your information now that I have the diffuser gone. That person told me to put the spray bar back on and point it down at the front pane of glass. which method should I use?

Also, does pointing the CO2 enriched water in the direction of a plant benefit it, or does it not matter?

thanks