Discussion in 'Journals' started by geektom, Aug 17, 2018.
Two weeks in! A little bit of hair algae, but everything else seems to be doing great!
Only thing that didn’t respond well out of the gate was the tissue culture rotala wallichii (you can see the empty space on the right where it was)
Starting EI dosing this week- going to go through ferts a lot faster with this tank than the 20g, that is for sure. We’ll see how long I can keep up with the 50% water changes, too.
The tank is a 135, but my estimates are that it has about 105 gallons of water in it.
Random update- I got 6 juvie Apistogramma panduro from a buddy a few months ago, that turned out to be 2 males and 4 females. I split them into 2 trios- one in the 20g and 1 in the 29g grow out tank, where they have done well.
Seeing as I basically emptied both smaller tanks, and they are a complete wreck that I am leaving “as is” until the big tank is fully cycled, OF COURSE now one set has produced a breeding pair. *Right after* I added 20 Serpae tetras to hold until the big tank is ready. Oy!
I love the look of your pisto’s!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, quick update- I will do a more extensive one this weekend.
Apistogramma eggs are gone I must have stressed them out moving the other fish.
I was getting some hair algae, and since I was going to be gone for 5 days for work, I dialed the lights back to 60% so it didn’t bloom.
Good news- seems to have done the trick (along with the Amanos I added), and it is almost all gone.
Interesting thing though- I am getting some tall Monte Carlo in front of where my stems are planted. Is it normal for it to grow tall like this? Is it because the lights are not intense enough?
As you can see, water is still getting some tannins- with the low light, it looks really yellow.
Hi, they arrows point at Micranthemum micranthemoides. It is natural to get tall.
Really? It was sold as tissue culture MC
Did a bit of trimming and a 25g water change today. Water is still a tad yellow, but I finally feel it is getting better with each water change.
Water parameters are still indicating I successfully established a cycle- going to give it another week and then add the 20 Serpae tetras.
Hard to take it all in at once- here it is in thirds:
I trimmed all the stems at least a little, except for the arcuata, because I can see a bunch of branching is about to happen. Trimmed as much of the pearl weed as I could reach. Oy- that is going to be a pain in the butt...
Pictures still make it look flat- I get so much joy at looking at it from all different angles and experiencing the depth.
The one plant that is not responding well at all is the cabomba. Not getting enough light maybe? Ironic because it is supposed to be practically indestructible.
The AR is finally growing- going to be a while before you can see it over the moss, though.
I am still struggling with the emersed sections, but at least the hydrocotyle Japan is doing well! Somehow attracted a bunch of fruit-fly type bugs, though.
That’s all for now- have an awesome week and keep your sleeves wet!
Making sure the Amanos are getting enough to eat.
Orange Lasers and Bolivian Rams have arrived safely and are in quarantine!
Excuse the bad phone photography- they are all swimming around enthusiastically.
Bolivians are adjusting to the Q tank and showing some color. I don’t think they like how open it is- I wish I had a handy manzanita branch or something to put in there.
Think the wood and anubias are a great hideout for the rams..
Yes, thank you- I think it will be, too.
Still holding strong with 0 ppm ammonia after adding the 20 Serpae two weeks ago and 20 otos 1 week ago. Should be good to add the Rams and corys this weekend.
Then the tank will be done! I can’t believe it!
Getting bushy everywhere!
Haha that is what i say every time..
Not a lot to update- tank is stable and everyone is doing well!
Continuing to trim the stems in the back until it fills in the way I want.
Looks like I will be a constant source for hydrocotyle Japan if anyone needs some, lol
Added air plants to the emersed sections for some visual appeal.
Stems are filling in nice and dense like I wanted- I can never seem to trim them to they are arranged in neat rows, with the tops all even and in top shape at the same time, though.
Such a busy tank- fish are in the way in every picture, lol