This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

GDA issues

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by rthomas, Oct 3, 2013.

1. rthomas

rthomas Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    4:46 AM
    I have been struck with GDA on a 3 footer last week.

If I were to follow recommendation that says NOT to TOUCH the tank for 3 weeks,
    - do I have to leave the photoperiod as is ?
    - do I need to fertilize the tank as is ?

Please advise. TIA

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    You do everything the same, just do not wipe the glass for about 3 full weeks.

Then wipe real good and do a water change, try and suck off most of it.
    Some folks did a huge water change, then used paper towels etc, or rags to wipe it off and not get it back into the water, then refilled the tank, swished the plants around and other surfaces, then did another water changes right away.

This worked for me a few times.

The pack of baby bushy nose plecos or pitbull plecos did the best job, say like 4-5 per 20 gal of tank.
    Several tried this, no one failed yet. Even at extremely high light(100 umol at the sediment etc).
    CO2 tweaking might help also.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    You do everything the same, just do not wipe the glass for about 3 full weeks.

Then wipe real good and do a water change, try and suck off most of it.
    Some folks did a huge water change, then used paper towels etc, or rags to wipe it off and not get it back into the water, then refilled the tank, swished the plants around and other surfaces, then did another water changes right away.

This worked for me a few times.

The pack of baby bushy nose plecos or pitbull plecos did the best job, say like 4-5 per 20 gal of tank.
    Several tried this, no one failed yet. Even at extremely high light(100 umol at the sediment etc).
    CO2 tweaking might help also.

4. Kamilstrom

Kamilstrom New Member

Local Time:
    I try that on my 5 ft tank,I didn't touch glass over 4 weeks,I did try adjust my light and ferts nothing works,the GDA was always back in week and then I bough 13W UV Sterilizer (cheap on Ebay),I let him work for 2 weeks and wipe glass every day too(keep floating spores) also add bunch Otos(to keep my plants clean) and it's already 4 week after I did remove UV and I didn't see any GDA(sofar work for me).:)

5. rthomas

Local Time:
    Thank you all for the input. Really appreciate your valuable advise.

6. rthomas

Local Time:
    Quick one

Would it be okay to make 50% WC?
    The Home Minister complaining that the tank is now giving out some kinda smell ? :rolleyes:

7. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    yes, you can do water changes. Also, once it's stopped growing, it will be easy to wipe off.