fungus on plants

crystalview

Guru Class Expert
Sep 6, 2008
between Sac and Reno
To try to make this short: I had a major change from the water company in PH and gave the first dose of fluke tabs to kill leeches. Killed every fish.
I took out the plants and put them in a big kettle. They were in the kettle for 4 days. I then treated the plants with a PP soak to kill any leech eggs.

I put the plants back in the tank after sterilizing everything. After 3 days there was an increase in white fuzz on the leaves of all the plants. I got some new plants today and removed all the plants that had either melted or had fungus. I just gave them a bleach soak. After rinsing should I put the plants back in the tank. My new plants are now in the tank and if I were to add the plants that had fungus, I will only have a little more then slightly stocked tank even with all my plants. Should I add these plants back in to the tank?
Will the fungus in the tank effect the fish I am going to get soon or the filtration system? When I removed the plants bits of the fungus were floating in the tank.

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
I think fungus usually means dead. I would prune all fungusy parts before adding them back to the tank, I could be wrong here but I've only ever had fungus grow on plants or bulbs that were dead anyway.