This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fungus on plants

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by crystalview, Feb 18, 2009.

1. crystalview

crystalview Guru Class Expert

To try to make this short: I had a major change from the water company in PH and gave the first dose of fluke tabs to kill leeches. Killed every fish.
    I took out the plants and put them in a big kettle. They were in the kettle for 4 days. I then treated the plants with a PP soak to kill any leech eggs.

I put the plants back in the tank after sterilizing everything. After 3 days there was an increase in white fuzz on the leaves of all the plants. I got some new plants today and removed all the plants that had either melted or had fungus. I just gave them a bleach soak. After rinsing should I put the plants back in the tank. My new plants are now in the tank and if I were to add the plants that had fungus, I will only have a little more then slightly stocked tank even with all my plants. Should I add these plants back in to the tank?
    Will the fungus in the tank effect the fish I am going to get soon or the filtration system? When I removed the plants bits of the fungus were floating in the tank.

2. Carissa

Carissa Guru Class Expert

I think fungus usually means dead. I would prune all fungusy parts before adding them back to the tank, I could be wrong here but I've only ever had fungus grow on plants or bulbs that were dead anyway.