This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From planted to fully stocked with Tetras

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by ranjohns, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ranjohns

ranjohns Guest

Tom, as my nearly fully planted tank is nearing the end of a fishless cycle I would like to bounce off you how my plan to fertilize and by how much will change once the tank is stocked with fish.

I have a 30 gal, 30 in. wide tank with a 350 g/hr HOB filter, an internal heater, and a 55 watt compact fluorescent AHSupply light raised 3 to 4 inches (as per Vaughan's recommendation). It is nearly fully-planted in Seachem fluorite and is on a 6x/week Seachem fert regime, as per Seachem's recommended dosing schedule, including Excel, Flourish, N, P & K. My pH is 7.6. Water is clear. I have a light load of diatoms which has become less and less an issue since I starting dosing Seachem ferts and better tank maintenance.

This is where the tank is in regards to the fishless cycle: 12 hours after dosing 5 ppm Ammonia, Ammonia is 0ppm; Nitrites, 0ppm for 2 days, now; Nitrates, 40 ppm. After Nitrites go to 0 in 12 hours for one week I'll do an 80-90% water change then fully stock with Rummy Nosed Tetras and one Siamensis.

In your 03-28-2005 post, "Non CO2 methods, another method for different goals"- , you write that most of the nutrients will come from the fish load and recommend adding once every week or two per 20 gal tank:

Seachme Equilibrium about 1/4 teaspoon
    about 1/8" and 1/32" teaspoon of KNO3 and KH2PO4 respectively

Then, "if you want more growth, Excel is a good option. You can add about 2-3x as much ferts then."

This is what I plan to start with then see what happens, with one exception. I'll use Seachem Flourish instead of Equilibrium until I run out. Then I will use Greg Watson's CSM+B Plantex, KNO3 and KH2PO4. I want a slow to medium growing, non-co2 injected tank, fully stocked community fish tank.

Does my approach sound about right?

Thanks for any advice,

Randy