This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

From inert gravel to flourite sand

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Trivr, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Trivr

Trivr Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    11:29 PM
    Hi everyone,

I said I want low maintenance tank, but can't stop messing with my tank!

I'm switching from black inert gravel to black flourite sand. Completed 2/3 of the tank last two days and it does look very nice. I'm giving it several days before I change the third section. My question has to do with the final third. I stair-stepped it up with slate rock and the gravel is about 4 inches deep. Is this depth o.k.? I'm considering replacing only the top half with the sand as I thought I'd read that deep sand can cause problems. Any truth to that? Should I do anything differently, any suggestions?

Thank you,

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    it's fine, Tom had the substrate up to a foot feep at the back on the big 1600gallon he did!

3. Trivr

Trivr Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Excellent! Thank you...