This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

**FREE Presentation Dutch Aquascaping** - Bart Laurens @ (GSAS) - May 9th

Discussion in 'Aquatic Clubs, Events, and Announcements' started by Seattle_Aquarist, May 3, 2017.

1. Seattle_Aquarist

Seattle_Aquarist Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    3:47 AM
    **FREE Presentation Dutch Aquascaping** - Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) - May 9th

Once again The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) is bringing an international speaker to the Northwest! Please join us for our May 9th meeting when we will have Bart Laurens, the award winning Dutch Aquascaper, share with us the "Art of Dutch Aquascaping". Bart started his first aquarium at the age of 8, and became a member of the Dutch aquascaping organization N.B.A.T. at age 10. His specialty is Dutch Aquascaping, as typified by his ten-foot-long 260-gallon award-winning aquarium. In 2015 he won the 3rd prize in the category “Dutch Aquascape” of the Aquatic Gardeners Association International Aquascaping Contest.

[​IMG]

The presentation, which is open to the public, will be Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 at 7:30 PM at Seattle Pacific University; Otto Miller Hall; Room 109; West Nickerson Street and 3rd Avenue West.

Doors will open about 6:30 PM for a 'social hour'; the meeting will start at 7:30 PM.

After the meeting please join us for our monthly auction and help to support the club that brings us all our these outstanding speakers.

Guests are welcome; no entrance fee

Family friendly but no childcare provided

Free parking, accessible building

No furry or feathered pets

Go to Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (https://www.gsas.org/) for more information and directions

[​IMG]

#1 Seattle_Aquarist, May 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:47 AM
    :cool: gotta get those plane tickets...

3. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Bart mentioned that his talk will be video taped. Can you confirm?

4. Seattle_Aquarist

Local Time:
    Hi Pikez,

It is up to the speaker if we can video their talk or not and if so how it is distributed. If the speaker allows it we have HD video equipment and Erik Olson who does the videos for AGA and ACA will video and edit the presentation. As to if it will be available online is also up to the speaker; some speakers only allow us to put the videos on DVD, some allow it to be streamed to GSAS Members only, and some allow it to be streaked to the entire web.

5. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Bart is not just OK with it, he is expecting it to be taped. That's based on my chat with him on Facebook after he was only able to complete half his talk at the AGA. But, of course, check with him. :) Erik was in Denver and taped the first half for the AGA.

FYI - I'd give Bart at least 90 minutes to do his thing.

6. Seattle_Aquarist

Local Time:
    Hi Pikez,

Yes, I'm on the GSAS board or directors and we discussed time allocation for this meeting and decided to cut our monthly auction to 1/2 hour and allocate 90-100 minutes for Bart's talk. Erik wanted AGA to allow Bart to finish his talk but the' powers that be' decided to stick with the original allocated time.

2 people like this.
  7. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yeah, I was there for that. A 'boner move' by AGA/show people. I know I am in the minority, but I flew from LA to Denver FOR THAT ONE TALK. But it was such a good time overall that even I wasn't mad.

I've also been in Bart's shoes. A new presentation that I thought would only take 60 minutes took 100 minutes. When you practice, you always go faster than you do in front of a crowd.

2 people like this.
  8. Seattle_Aquarist

Local Time:
    Hi All,

Tuesday evening is just around the corner! If you are into aquascaping you do not want to miss our next meeting. Even if you prefer a 'Nature Style' aquariums, or just want to learn a little more layout basics, the same rules for Dutch Aquariums are used for most designs such as perspective, 'Golden Ratio', and 'Rule of Thirds'.

If you need further enticement one of our GSAS Sponsor Stores generously donated a nice 3-1/2 gallon Nano tank as a door prize!

Hope to see you there!

-Roy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Keegan

Keegan Subscriber

Local Time:
    I was able to catch Bart's talk last Friday at the SFAS meeting well worth it.

2 people like this.
  10. nicpapa

nicpapa Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Can we see the talk anywhere?

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    SAS here allowed his full talk, well worth the last 10-15 minutes

We video taped it also.

2 people like this.
  12. Seattle_Aquarist

Local Time:
    Hi All,

It was a great talk at GSAS last night, about 80 folks showed up for an almost 2 hour presentation on Dutch aquariums and aquascaping.

Next month another great speaker, this time from the East Coast - Rachel O'Leary (aka msjinkzd) will be doing a talk on Nano tanks and possibly a 'Bonus Talk' on invertebrates and/or freshwater shrimp!

13. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Did Erik record it?

(fingers crossed!)

14. Seattle_Aquarist

Local Time:
    Hi Pikez,

Yes, Erik was there with his HD video equipment and it was recorded. I do not yet know if Bart will allow us to stream is for everyone or just GSAS members.

15. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    5:47 AM
    Here's hoping it'll be available for all to see!

If not can I join GSAS from......Alabama? Not even joking! :)

16. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    I'd be more than happy to join GSAS, just to watch this video.

I understand that flying in and hosting speakers can be a major expense for clubs. If GSAS were to put Bart's talk behind a membership paywall, that'd be an easy way to recoup some expenses, grow the membership beyond the Seattle area, and, of course, provide knowledge and information to people like us who were unable to attend.

Bart has personally indicated to me that he'd be fine with something like this, but that's neither here nor there. GSAS would have to get something in writing from him directly before acting. Either way, I'd truly appreciate it if you could follow up on this thread if/when it is ready for viewing.

17. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    I would be happy to join too if there was a member only content area.

18. LRJ

LRJ Subscriber

Local Time:
    6:47 AM
    Hear! Hear!

19. Seattle_Aquarist

Local Time:
    Hi Pikez,

GSAS is a local club; as such memberships are restricted to either folks that attend a meeting or folks that live within the State of Washington. We have about 300 active members and spend about $12,000 annually for our operating expenses and various programs; about 25% of our expenditures goes for speakers.

GSAS uses various firewalls on our website to restrict access of various areas for "members only". We used to use torrents to distribute talks to members but now they are streamed.

As I said, I don't know how Bart is going to allow distribution of his talk. It hasn't been edited yet so it will be a few weeks before we know.

2 people like this.
  20. Seattle_Aquarist

Local Time:
    Hi All,

For those of you that wanted to see the Bart Laurens presentation in it's entirety (yes the entire 2 hour version!) it was recorded by Erik Olson at GSAS and is available on the Aquatic Gardeners Association (aquatic-gardeners.org). I believe you have to be an AGA member ($22 year) to be able to stream the 2017 Convention video ($20) or purchase the Blu-Ray video of the ($36).

Jason King likes this.