This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Free plants (in my tank)

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Detritus Mulm, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Detritus Mulm

Detritus Mulm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    10:46 AM
    I have some kind of grass growing out of the substrate, but I have no idea what it is or where it came from (Yes I know, pictures). The last thing I put in there was my Lotus and some Riccia and Java Fern. The Lotus is also growing multiple plants, I put in one bulb, but now have three plants. Do they spread under the soil?

I thought the grass might be some sort of Micro Sword, but the shoots are branched. It's grown from nothing to 6" in less than two weeks. It's rather lanky, so I hope it grows a few more free shoots.

2. LoudCreature

LoudCreature Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I don't know the hair grass, but the lotus will take over sometimes. I don't know under the soil, but daughter plants come off the sides and move quickly, they grow all over. In tanks or ponds with rich substrate they really move and grow fast. :)

3. Detritus Mulm

Detritus Mulm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Yeah the Lotus is spreading. I sent an email to my Riccia provider to ask her what might have snuck in with it, but the two possibilities she mentioned don't match my mystery plant.

I'm hoping Santa will bring me a better camera for Christmas so I can get a decent picture.