**FREE Aquarium Plant Lecture by Tom Barr** - Presented by GSAS

Seattle_Aquarist

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2008
Seattle, WA
**FREE Aquarium Plant Lecture by Tom Barr** - Presented by GSAS

The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) is pleased to sponsor a free lecture on aquarium plants by the internationally known aquarist, author (TFH, TAG, FAMA), speaker, and aquarium plant guru ......Tom Barr. Mr Barr has focused his efforts on planted aquariums and aquarium plants since 1989. In addition to teaching, Tom owns a business that designs and maintains aquascaped planted aquariums in the San Francisco area. He also owns and writes for the www.BarrReport.com a planted aquarium web site.

The lecture will be next Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 at 7:30PM at Seattle Pacific University; Otto Miller Hall; Room 109; West Nickerson Street and 3rd Avenue West

Doors will open around 7:10PM; the meeting will start at about 7:30PM

The lecture will be followed by a short auction

Open to the public, no entrance fee
Family friendly but no childcare provided
Free parking, accessible building, no furry or feathered pets
Go to GSAS.ORG for more information and directions

Roy
45 Gallon Tall; 96 Watt AH Supply CF; 6700K; & 30 Gallon Long; 2X36 Watt AH Supply CF; Pressurized CO2; UGF; Heat Treated Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
barbarossa4122;55149 said:
Hi,

Hey Tom, please let us New Yorkers know when you come to NYC. :)

I love NYC, you guys invite me, I'll come, I'll even act all hillbilly to throw you all off:)

Regards,
Tom Barr

Seattle_Aquarist

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2008
Seattle, WA
GSAS had a great Potluck with Tom Barr last night! We feasted on wild salmon, chicken, meatballs, side dishes, and homemade pies. Tom shared some of his views on substrates, CO2 levels, and lighting limited planted aquariums during a question and answer period.

I am really looking forward to learning more at the presentation on Tuesday night!

Seattle_Aquarist

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2008
Seattle, WA
barbarossa4122;55479 said:
I am so jealous I am not there. :)

Hi barbarossa,

I understand your pain! The club takes care of the travel, and provides lodging but we do not "pay" speakers. We cover the expenses with our two big annual auctions (Plant Auction / Big Annual Auction). Room rental, refreshments, and other club expenses are covered by a "mini-auction" at the end of the meetings where the seller and the club split the revenue 50/50. We are a registered non-profit in the State of Washington.

BTW, we are at 36 hours and counting folks; that's right we are down to just hours!

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Seattle_Aquarist;55487 said:
Hi barbarossa,

I understand your pain! The club takes care of the travel, and provides lodging but we do not "pay" speakers. We cover the expenses with our two big annual auctions (Plant Auction / Big Annual Auction). Room rental, refreshments, and other club expenses are covered by a "mini-auction" at the end of the meetings where the seller and the club split the revenue 50/50. We are a registered non-profit in the State of Washington.

BTW, we are at 36 hours and counting folks; that's right we are down to just hours!

Hi Seattle_Aquarist,

Maybe I should look to join a similar club in the NYC area. I wonder if Tom had any invitations from such a club in the NY tristate area. I am sure if he comes here in the future, I'll find out. I'll even go to Boston , Philly or DC.

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Have a blast! Meeting Tom and touring the Behemoth was one of the coolest things I've gotten out of our hobby :) If there's any chance for video or an audio recording of his presentation, it's appreciated!

Seattle_Aquarist

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hi Wet,

Erik Olson is our club videographer; he also does the AGA and ACA conventions. If we have permission from a speaker to video the presentation, he is the one that will do it!

Seattle_Aquarist

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hi All,

Tom gave an awesome presentation! We had one of our largest meeting attendances for a GSAS meeting and the number of "guests" and new member sign-ups was significant!

Tom discussed several subjects including photosynthesis and how light, carbon, and nutrients can be manipulated to affect plant growth. My initial takeaway from that aspect of the talk was a light limited CO2 enhanced environment can provide good plant growth (not necessarily maximum growth) while minimizing the opportunity for algae growth.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I think if you join the GSAS, all members can view any of the videos of the speakers, past and present.
Erik does a dandy job also.

I have no idea what I look like or how much I messed some things up.........but hopefully Erik will edit me nicely:)

Also, the BC Canada club also had a record turn up Monday night.
Their public aquarium is really nice, stop by if you go there!

Regards,
Tom Barr

Seattle_Aquarist

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hi All,

For those GSAS members that have been waiting patiently, theTom Barr presentation on "Light Limited Planted Aquariums" is available now for downloading via Bitorrent in the "Members Only" Video Archive section of the GSAS.org Website.

If you download, please stay online and help "Seed" for a while.

And Tom, yes Erik did a great job of editing....he even made you look 20 years younger! LOL!

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Roy,

Just joined via Paypal and was redirected after to a survey sheet.

Am I now a member??? I was not prompted for a username...As I am in FL, do not expect me at many meetings, but will be there in spirit..

Appreciate any help.

Seattle_Aquarist

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hi Gerryd,

I believe you have received all the information you need to download the Tom Barr video, as well as other videos in our library. Have you downloaded it yet and how did you like it?

Thank you for joining GSAS! I think BTW, you are our "furtherest" member! LOL!