This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Foreground Plants

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by vraghu, May 15, 2008.

1. vraghu

vraghu Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:54 PM
    Hello ,

This is my first post as a proud member of Barrreport . i will give my Tank specs below.

Tank Size - 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
    Substrate - ADA Amazonia II
    CO2 - Pressurised 2 Bps through Aquamedic 1000.
    Lights - 54Watts x 4 T5 HO from OSRAM.
    Ferts - 1/2 Tsp KNO3 3x / Week, 1/4 Tsp K2S04 3x Week, Micros dosing in the night about 5ml.

Plants - ALL Stems .. (Macaranda,Rotalas, Blyxa,Cyprus Helferi so on..).

Fishes - Cardinals - 10, Rummy Nose - 10, Harliquin Rasboras - 20, Puntius Denisoni - 2 , Rainbows - 2, Albino Corys - 2.

Problem :

I have planted 2 or 3 pots of Dwarf Hairgrass, HC , Glosso in the Foreground , and its almost 2 months passed , i can see a few new leaves in the Glosso , and a few Runners for Dwarf Hairgrass.

Am i doing something wrong here , cannot understand why my Foreground plants don't take off.

Can someone help ?

Regds
    Rags.

2. rusticitas

rusticitas Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    How long has it been since you planted?

3. vraghu

vraghu Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hello Jason,

2 months have passed since i planted the foreground plants..

Rags

4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You have a 120 gallon tank, but you are dosing for about a 40 gallon tank. The stem plants quickly use up the nutrients you dose, leaving nothing for the new ground cover plants, which, being the farthest from the light are the slowest growers in the tank. Multiply your dosing by 3 and things should work out much better.

And, you are not using enough CO2 for that size tank and that much light. Get a drop checker and you will see, I am sure, that you have far less than 30 ppm of CO2 in the water.

5. vraghu

vraghu Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hello VaughnH,

I have increased the Macro dosing to almost 1/2 Tsp to 3/4 Tsp KNO3 / Day , too early to tell any diff, one more issue i found that when i increase my CO2 , there seems to a Airgap in the Aquamedic 1000 reactor , i can see only 1/2 of the Reactor filled with water , which is getting water inlet from my EHEIM 2217 , the air gap goes off , once i switch off the CO2 , do i have to increase the flow rate to the Aquamedic ? if so, can u suggest me any external pump which can do this ?

Regds
    Rags.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Anything that will produce 350-400gph of flow will help.
    Most canister filters are under powered.

You should also trim so the low plants get enough light.
    As plants grow in after 1-2 months, the amount of CO2 they need also goes up.
    Not just nutrients.

So more flow, more CO2, and better trimming is needed.

Regards,
    Tom Barr