Foreground and midground plants for low light tank

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
Hi all,
I have 300 watts of MH over my 180g tank. I am thinking of hanging the MH so that it is about 18 inches from the water surface. Would that constitute to low light ?

I am planning to plant mainly Bolbitis, Java Ferns and Mini Ferns. What would be good to plant in the foreground and midground ? Appreciate your thoughts. TIA.

Hallen

Guru Class Expert
Oct 8, 2010
The Netherlands (Gelderland)
I'd consider it (close to) medium lighting since the PAR of MH is higher than T5/T8 bulbs.

As far as for plants you have quite some options with a tank of that size, personally I'd go with E. tenellus (now known as H. tenellum) or perhaps Eleocharis parvula/pussila. They stay quite low with plenty Co2. If you can find enough of them Cryptocoryne parva and similar species are also very nice. Perhaps some daonoi in the corners?

Forgot one: Staurogyne repens

Last edited by a moderator:

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Gerry had 450 Watts MH on his 180 and is was 32 inch from the substrate to get 50 micromols (medium light). Since you have "only" 300 Watts, 18 inch could work well.

regards,
dutchy

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
dutchy;56989 said:
Gerry had 450 Watts MH on his 180 and is was 32 inch from the substrate to get 50 micromols (medium light). Since you have "only" 300 Watts, 18 inch could work well.

regards,
dutchy

I remember Gerry hanged them very high. And 32" from substrate is just too close
for his 24" deep tank. So I checked his post again.

Actually the distance was 31.5" above the tank, getting the par around 50 on substrate. :)
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7503-The-high-light-requirement-myth

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I would go for LESS than 50 micromoles personally with the plant selections desired....

I would err on the side of caution as I found that MH can be pretty bright :)

You can always add more light with less adverse effects than the reverse..

Set it up and see how the growth goes. You can always change things later....