This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Foo Box

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Fisherking, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    10:13 AM
    I feel a little sheepish here, because this will not be a tantalizing, uber-tech setup. But, after moving cross country, this is one of the tanks I was able to keep and I Have.To. Have. a tank running.

The photo is from Day 14 of a fishless cycle setup. I used mature media and the cycle is complete. Everything on this one is sort of an experiment.

Fluval Edge 12 with new 42 LED fixture.

Aqua Clear 20 HOB with extension added to intake pipe and impeller switched out for one from an Aqua Clear 50 for better flow.

Cobalt Neotherm heater.

Substrate: Eco-complete mixed with some Torpedo Beach sand that made the trip.

Fertilizer: Using a single squirt of Thrive weekly.

My idea is that this isn't made for a lush 'scape, given the tank limitations so I'll be attaching Java and Anubias to a central figure so I'm not trying to reach way down to fiddle with plants. There is one rooted Val spiralis in the corner because I wanted to try it. It's brave, but it's melted a bit.

That central figure isn't here yet so the Java is just floating around along with the Hornwort clipped to the walls (to keep it neat) and the Marimo balls and duckweed tumbling about as well. I'll tidy that up once the Giant Foo Dog arrives and I can attach plants to it.

I'll also have to glue a black piece of sponge in the Foo's mouth so the Betta, who is arriving tomorrow with an army of Nerites, doesn't swim inside and get his foolish fish self stuck. There's also an intake sponge on the filter to keep the hornwort trash out and the Betta fins safe.

Said Betta is a Black Orchid Crown Tailed fellow coming from Green Oasis Farms in Arizona. Gosh I hope he makes it. Will update when they get here. Opinions invited!

View attachment 13483

FOOBOXone.jpg

#1 Fisherking, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    So issues have come up. The nerites arrived and are all working the tank but the Betta was DOA. Now I have the problem of how to keep the bacteria in the filter "fed" until the replacement Betta arrives in two weeks. Decided to remove the mature ceramic media and place it in another tank which is undergoing a fishless, ammonia-assisted cycle so it can maintain it's population. I'll run this Edge on its two sponges that were also in the media basket and watch the ammonia closely for the snails' sake. Once the fish comes, I'll replace the ceramic media.

The Giant Foo Dog arrived and I spent an hour pinching off baby Java ferns and glueing them all over the Foo. This makes him look extra fierce. I'm delighted by this as I've never had a figure in a tank before, but he somehow fits the "Lost in a Thai Jungle" look I'm imagining.

The Vals are hanging in there and I see one shoot coming up.

I'm hoping the snails have enough to eat; they seem to be ignoring the "Algae Wafer for Snails" pellet I placed in there for them....

Foo pictures to follow

3. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    The Foo in "Foo Box", all the Java plantlets I could pinch off and glue. Someone said in a tank journal superglue doesn't work. We'll find out.

LastFoo.jpg

#3 Fisherking, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  4. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    11:13 AM
    Not gonna lie, I was so confused about what a foo dog was. Always been a guardian lion or Zuul the gatekeeper to me.

Superglue doesn't work for what, gluing java fern plantlets specifically or what? I think it should be fine if you let it cure but the gel versions are much easier to work with... that said, I personally hardly ever glue any plants.

5. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    Everything on this tank is for fun and experiment, so tried the glue. In other tanks, I tied things with black thread and came to detest it, besides, these are tiny plantlets and I'd have my Foo/Temple Guard/Whoosit covered with ugly black thread.

Thanks for visiting!

6. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    11:13 AM
    Right but you said you read superglue doesn't work, and I'm asking it doesn't work for what? I seem to see a lot of people use superglues, especially the gel kind, with no real ill effect other than sometimes they use too much and the non gel kind is runny/harder to work with?

I will occasionally use thread to try to attach moss or something to wood or rock until it attaches itself, but I've never tried to make an aquatic chia pet per se.

7. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    I read in another tank journal that superglue did not work for glueing plants to surfaces. She said it degenerated over time. So far, my glue job is working but I want to see if it will last.

#7 Fisherking, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  8. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    Decided yesterday that I'm not going to risk another disheartening DOA shipment and will take plants in exchange for what the Betta vendor owes me. So what do I do?

There's a Betta that I had my eye on locally who has survived at least 2 weeks in the Betta Cups of Mordor. I saw him about 2 weeks ago and he's been on my mind. He was active in his cup yesterday, the water was actually clean and he has no obvious problems. So I took him home. I know this isn't a high quality fish, but Bettas are pets. And at least he didn't arrive DOA. He's had a day in his tank and, if a fish could show wonder and astonishment at suddenly finding himself in 12 gallons of planted home, I think he is doing so. He is indifferent to the Foo...Will post his photo once I name him.

What the cashier told me: When I go out the door of the store, I must raise the Betta cup above the detector gates because they've found it kills them to pass through the field. Urban Legend? Having just watched Dr. Strange the night before, I decided to believe her and marched out of the store, Betta held over my head.

9. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    This is Silk. Silk has survived the Betta Cups of Mordor and did not die when passing through the Detector Gates of Walmart. I think he's quite young because of his tiny size. He has inhabited the Foo Box for four days now and began eating his Betta bits yesterday. I'm going to try an online source for frozen bloodworms to make him happy.

Betta2.jpg

Tags: