Foliar fertilizer on aquaria

E

evandro.carrenho

Hello,

I am trying to find a micro-nutrients alternative to expensive "aquarium branded" fertilizers, but in my country that is not an easy job.

Browsing here and there, I found a foliar fertilizer targeted to orchids which seems to have an interesting formula.

See below a spreadsheet comparing added ppm of each nutrient for seachem flourish, TPN+, and this so called Biofert. First column is the percentace and second the added ppm assuming 2ml/80l (or 2ml/20gal).

I have highlighted the "outliers", i.e. the nutrients that Biofert contains in a significantly (?) higher concentration.

My concerns are:

• Could a foliar fertilizer targeted to terrestrial plants have any intrinsic (unstated) chemical that would cause harm to aquatic plants or fish?
  • Could Co, Cu, Mo and Zn be harmful to fish if added in those concentrations daily?

Thanks for the help,
Evandro.

View attachment 1825

Last edited:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Test? Got Lye?

Hi Evandro.,

Yes the “N” in particular may be Ammoniacal nitrogen, NH3-N. :(

Also there may be heavy metals and/or things toxic in aquatic environments. :eek:

To you mind sharing where you live? :cool:

Biollante

lightyear

Prolific Poster
Sep 24, 2010
I tried a terrestial plant fertilizer called nutricot in my aquarium as substarte fertilizer and has no problem with it. maybe because it is inserted in the substrate and that it is slow release.

Planning to do experiment on terrestial liquid fertilizer as well. I'll go for 1/8 of the recommended dosage to be sure

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
I can't import CSM+B. And branded stuffs are pricey.

So I use a traces mix for terresterial plants too. But it has too much Cu for my liking,
so I diluted it and supplemented other elements using CSM+B and TPN formulas,
some data on toxicity as rough guides.

Toxic levels (for fish mostly).
(Don't remember where I gathered them from...)

B 100 PPM
Mo 100 PPM
Cu .2-.3 PPM
Zn 0.066, 0.5 PPM, 2.5-4.71, 8-17 PPPM (depends on water hardness and fish species,
more hardness = less toxic)
Fe = 0.5 PPM
Mn = 1 PPM

E

evandro.carrenho

I live in Brazil, so some chemicals as controlled by the army, like KNO3. Also, there is no dry checmicals target to aquaria.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Yea, but they have tons of fertilizer for agriculture, ask a farm supply store etc.
As long as it is a legitimate reason, you should have no issues.

You guys do have farms there?
I mean they say the government/ranchers/mining operations are promoting the jungle destruction, narcos gangs in the cities. Seems like ferts is a small potato:)

I can get all the ammo/guns I want, but not ferts?

Something is wrong there.

You might try different sources!

Regards,
Tom Barr

E

evandro.carrenho

Thanks Nipat and Biollante for the relevant information. It states that "all" sources of nitrogen are present in the formula, and also the toxic elements pointed out are a little in the upper limit in the formula.

If I try it, will have to dillute it.

James121

Junior Poster
Oct 14, 2010
Indigrow is able to offer Liquid, Flowable, Soluble and Granular formulations of foliar and soil applied fertilizers, working with manufacturing plants in the UK and continental Europe.