Fluorescent Induction lighting

steve001

Junior Poster
May 10, 2011
I just came across this old technology being applied in a new way to hydroponics, pot growers, salt water aquariums and even the planted aquarium. But the technology is still very young and there's very little beyond opinion on there useful application for the planted aquarium. Bulbs range in color temperature from 2700-6500K and some can be fitted into standard household sockets. *Inda-Gro seems to be the only company promoting this type of light for the planted aquarium. Does anyone have some firsthand knowledge of this type of lighting being applied to aquatic plants ?

* Inda-Gro has the spectral output of this light and they also have some photos of it used on a planted tank in their Gallery.

pepetj

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2008
Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep
Although the life-time of most induction lamps is rated at 100,000hrs there's an asterisk placed next to that number. At least in one of the sites I looked into today, that asterisk signaled that the inductor ballast life was 50,000hrs.

With the actual prices and the lack of PPF measurements I don't see how this technology can compete with linear fluorescent T5 lamps.

Here's my rationale:

A 18"x18" ceiling canopy with an induction lamp rated at 200W costs easily over 600usd (50,000hrs due to ballast limitation). That same area is easily covered with two fixtures of dual T5HO lamps if not by one.

Consider paying 120usd per fixture (240usd) and add 80usd of T5HO lamp replacement (320usd) over the 50,000hrs of use. Using two dual fixtures (4 x 24WT5HO lamps) we still pay about half the cost of the induction fluorescent canopy and until PPF data is available for the IF lamps I don't see how this alternative could be cost-effective. It may make sense over time when metal halide, and high pressure sodium (or mercury) vapor lamps are considered but it doesn't look like a viable alternative unless both its light output and energy consumption truly overmatch T5HO significantly. There's just no useful data as you stated in the opening post.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo