flourite in black

hani

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
can you get flourite in black? am doing 75g tank, and i cant get ADA? am looking for black substrate?
thanks

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
There is definitely a black Flourite now -- it is a fairly new product. I think Tom Barr is using it. I just don't think it is widely available yet -- I personally haven't run across it in stores or online.

Not sure where you are located, but someone in your area might be able to give you a tip, if you let them know where you are.

Homer_Simpson

Prolific Poster
Oct 11, 2007
Black Fluorite And Black Fluorite sand are available and from what Seachem tells me they are both identical in nutritent/mineral composition. I would go with the Black Fluorite sand as it is likely better for planting some fine root stem plants like ludwiga, bacopa, rotala, not to mention carpeting pants like hairgrass, and dwarf baby tears.

If you are in the US, these are some of the best prices I have seen for the regular Fluorite Black and Black Sand.
Aquarium Plant Substrates at Big Al's Online

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
Hani,

posted last week to Tom Barr. He said to email Seachem. I did and they are very helpful. I received three different emails from three different people. Marine Depot on line carries FLourite Black (not sand) and also Seachem put me in touch with several local dealers:)
I've seen in person the Black Flourite Sand and IS very fine. I chose the Flourite Black, it is same size Flourite Red. I should have my FB in by next week.

icom

Junior Poster
Feb 25, 2008
Mooner;22882 said:
Hani,

posted last week to Tom Barr. He said to email Seachem. I did and they are very helpful. I received three different emails from three different people. Marine Depot on line carries FLourite Black (not sand) and also Seachem put me in touch with several local dealers:)
I've seen in person the Black Flourite Sand and IS very fine. I chose the Flourite Black, it is same size Flourite Red. I should have my FB in by next week.

can someone post pics of the Flourite Black and the Flourite Black Sand ,please

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Here is some Black Flourite Sand in my 10 gallon tank:
IMG_1206.jpg

This tank has been set up for about 6 weeks now, as a non-CO2 tank. The plants are all alive, very slowly growing. It has a sub layer of Diamond Black (leonardite). Most of the Flourite was just poured in dry, no washing, but the very top layer is washed briefly. No cloudiness when I filled the tank, other than a slight haze, which cleared up by the next day. Flourite sand is indeed very fine grained, with much of it less than 1 mm in grain size.

icom

Junior Poster
Feb 25, 2008
thats nice.i don't know which i like better now ,the black sand or regular flourite black :confused:

Crazy Loaches

Guru Class Expert
Nov 20, 2006
Ohio
How 'rough' is the flourite sand, like compared to regular silica sand. And is it similar in grain size to say PFS or finer? Just debating if I ever switch to it in the future for one of my loach tanks (dont want anything abrasive).

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
I didn't really check how "rough" it is, but it is much finer than the 2mm usually said to be ideal for a planted tank. Tomorrow I will be planting glosso in it to start with the dry method, so I will see if I can characterize the roughness.