Flourite Black And Fluval Stratum Together?

DaTrueDave

Dec 29, 2017
DFW, Texas
OK, I've got some Flourite Black leftover from another project, and I have a couple of bags of Fluval Stratum. I'd like to use it all in my girlfriend's new 15 gallon.

My question is whether it would be better to layer them, or if it would be better to mix them together. I've only ever used inert substrates in the past, so I'm unsure about this Stratum stuff. I know this is different, but I've always read about people putting their organic soils underneath some sort of inert "cap." Obviously that's not necessary with the Stratum, but would there still be some small benefit to it?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
I would put the one I like the appearance of on top. I don't think either one has much nutrient supply, if any. I had Stratum several years ago and liked it, and I have had black Flourite, both sand and the regular, and liked them, too. So, it would just be personal preference as far as I know.

DaTrueDave

Dec 29, 2017
DFW, Texas
I would put the one I like the appearance of on top. I don't think either one has much nutrient supply, if any. I had Stratum several years ago and liked it, and I have had black Flourite, both sand and the regular, and liked them, too. So, it would just be personal preference as far as I know.

Hmmm, interesting. I'm being told that this Stratum is nutritive. I'll have to take a look at the bag tomorrow.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
If Stratum was nutrient rich it would be mentioned prominently in their website. All I could find was that it had some micronutrients in it, and I got the impression that those are most likely not bioavailable. It is said to be made from natural volcanic soil. When I bought mine after it was first offered I thought it was supposed to be nutrient loaded, but several people told me then that it wasn't.