Fishy Symposium

treefisher

Junior Poster
Jun 16, 2008
I recently posted this in another forum and haven't gotten any replies. I'll try this in a few more places. If no bites, I guess I'll give up on the idea...

Lets say that I hypothetically work for a great little public aquarium on the North Carolina coast. Now let's pretend that I could organize a symposium of sorts, dedicated to educating the hobbyist on all things aquarium related. This would include everything from niches like planted tanks or reefs to plumbing and general care.

Would there be interest in this? I would need notable and knowledgeable people to give presentations and an idea of what kind of turnout I could expect.

This make-believe aquarium would require a small entrance fee, and proceeds would go directly into making the aquarium even better than it already is, and possibly some fishy or environmental related charity or research program.

I'm open to any ideas or conversation about this. Ask your hobby friends what they think about attending or presenting educational imaginary seminars at an awesome fictional aquarium on the NC coast.

Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
UK
That's a vague and tenuous enquiry. I doubt you will get any takers for a hypothetical event.
If you're actually in a position to hold a symposium, I'm sure a more forthright approach would yield better results.
Then you'd be in a better position to determine whether your proposal is feasble or not.
A proper introduction would be the first step, stating who you are what your professional position is, followed by what you actually hope to achieve, where and when.

Last edited:
Reactions: treefisher

treefisher

Junior Poster
Jun 16, 2008
That's a vague and tenuous enquiry. I doubt you will get any takers for a hypothetical event.
If you're actually in a position to hold a symposium, I'm sure a more forthright approach would yield better results.
Then you'd be in a better position to determine whether your proposal is feasble or not.
A proper introduction would be the first step, stating who you are what your professional position is, followed by what you actually hope to achieve, where and when.

Well, at this point I wanted to keep it vague. I'm just trying to see what general interest might be out there. I am in a position to possibly make this happen if I feel there would be support for it. I'm not looking for guarantee attendees right now.

I am not part of an aquarium's public relations or events booking team, so I cannot say something will happen before it's an actual plan. I am, however, a longtime hobbyist with ties to an aquarium, and could, most likely, organize an event if I can find a demand for it.

What I hope to achieve is basically what I previously stated. I want it to be an educational event for hobbyists. People could network and learn, advertise their businesses, and possibly buy and sell. I obviously haven't worked out every minor detail yet.

For now I'll just say that it would be at one of the http://www.ncaquariums.com. There are 3 of them, and they are some of the most unique and best aquariums that I've been to. It could happen at anytime of the year.

Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
UK
Sounds like you have formulated a rough plan. I know that it can be difficult to get the ball rolling, especially when establishing a way of going about organising it in the first place. I think the first step is to get the aquarium to at least agree in principle and then you have more of a concrete foundation to build upon, and can then be a bit more forthright trying to drum up interest. Good luck I hope you get it off the ground and up and running.

Reactions: treefisher

treefisher

Junior Poster
Jun 16, 2008
It's only rough plan for now. I have spoken with a few people at the aquarium that expressed interest. I believe it would be very likely that I could make this happen, but I don't want to waste time or stick my neck out at the aquarium if I can't find enough support for the idea amongst the hobby crowd. I was just hoping for interest bites right now. It appears that I'm not getting much of that unfortunately.

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
I would suggest looking at the kind of numbers / hobbyists AGA Conferences attract. Being new and just starting I would expect much less and maybe local hobbyists to attend at first.

Try to get into contact with local clubs and see what they think and if they can volunteer to help organize / market the event. What kind of topics would they like covered.

Approach somebody who is well known in the hobby and see if (s)he want to come, when (s)he is available and how much they want . A name will draw more people in than simply a chill out meet.

treefisher

Junior Poster
Jun 16, 2008
I would suggest looking at the kind of numbers / hobbyists AGA Conferences attract. Being new and just starting I would expect much less and maybe local hobbyists to attend at first.

Try to get into contact with local clubs and see what they think and if they can volunteer to help organize / market the event. What kind of topics would they like covered.

Approach somebody who is well known in the hobby and see if (s)he want to come, when (s)he is available and how much they want . A name will draw more people in than simply a chill out meet.

Great insights, thanks. I think I will contact some local clubs.

Hey, Tom Barr. Do you feel like taking a trip to NC to give some lectures and fraternize with fish nerds? :)