Fish food variety

PeterGwee

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Hi folks, would like to know what kind of stuff you guys feed your fish with? Can they do well just on flakes? If not, what kind of food combination is good?

Regards
Peter Gwee

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States
Re: Fish food variety

PeterGwee said:
Hi folks, would like to know what kind of stuff you guys feed your fish with? Can they do well just on flakes? If not, what kind of food combination is good?
Most tropical fish naturally eat a lot of plant matter as well as other "live food" in nature ...

Most "flake food" if you read the ingredients have a good balance between mostly vegetable sources of proteins as well as a small portion of "fish" source of protein ...

If you go back through old aquatic literature ... there are all kinds of homemade fish food recipes ... many of them are quite fascinating. There are a lot of variations off the cooking, drying, and grinding of oatmeal type recipes ... there are a lot of variations off the cooking and preserving of various white (meat) fishes which I like to mentally equate to "fish sticks" that we have all been subjected to at one point in our life ...

The key is that the options really are quite wide and varied ...

My *personal* favorite recipes are my Beef Heart recipe which you can check out here: http://www.gregwatson.com/HowToMakeBeefHeart.htm and my Veggie Food recipe which you can check out here: http://www.gregwatson.com/HowToMakeHomemadeFishFood.htm ...

I've done the full gamet of life fish foods like brine shrimp, krill, and a wide variety of worms ...

As long as I'm not worrying about conditioning fish for breeding purposes, I like my Flake Food, Beef Heart, and Veggie Food combination the best ...

Now I have several Species Maintenance Program tanks with F[N] generations of wild swordtails ... that are always full of snails ... my wife thinks the best food for her Cichlids is a handful of snails from one of those tanks which she just reaches in and grabs whenever she thinks the snail population is too high ... she also feeds her cichlids my frozen beef heart ...

Greg

[email protected]

Prolific Poster
Apr 24, 2005
Vermont

I've been supplementing with lots of frozen foods - brine shrimp, blood worms, artemia etc. I don't know that it's necessary but fish sure seem to like it.......

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I fed my plants with fish.

Regards,
Tom Barr