Fish disease in planted tank and how to treat?

fishtk75

Prolific Poster
Oct 15, 2006
PA
How do you treat fish diseases in a planted tank?
If not how you catch them for a QT and what you use in the QT tank and how long?

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
It depends upon the disease. For example, ich can be treated by raising the temperature to the low 90's for a few days.

If medication is required, I think it is best to put the fish in a separate tank and medicate them there, although as you implied, catching them can be difficult in a heavily planted tank. Using two nets can make that easier, and in the process you will discover which plants aren't well rooted .

Diseased fish also can recover on their own, without medication, particulary if the remperature is raised a little.
I have never used any medications, and my fish die of accident or of old age.

Bill

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
Bill covered all the high spots...

and I gotta say I really appreciate the wisdom that his post was tempered with !

Any medication should be done in a quarantine regardless of what the medication packaging says. But I believe as well that many fish diseases are symptomatic of environment. Healthy happy fish WILL miraculously rebound from disease almost overnight. There is always the possiblity of introducing disease from rotten tanks, but again if you properly quarantine the fish before they go into the system it's sure a whole lot easier than netting them back out, and disrupting a healthy display.

I only know of a handful of what I would call effective remedies. I'm sure many help to some degree, and I know several only make things worse. But they ALL have no place in a planted tank.

I'm sure this all sounds very vague, and out of context. Perhaps if you would be so kind as to define which disease you're treating we could be of better service ?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've yet to require medications in over 15 years of plant keeping:D

But most meds are fine on plants.
Good envirnment, good food etc, prove very effective "cures".
Much like taking good care of the plants "cures" algae.

Same type of thing.

I've not heard of any meds that are bad other than high levels of Copper, salt, permangnate etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

fishtk75

Prolific Poster
Oct 15, 2006
PA
First I did do the QT for all the new fish I get and let them in for three weeks.
Is the QT I am doing ok or is there something doing wrong or need to add?
That is what I do not understand you do everything to not let it happen put still hits.
I do all 50% as WC, and the water numbers ok.

Well I have a rainbow I see with popeye.
Can I treat the fish in the tank with what?
Or as you all said catch it and put it in a QT and treat it with what?
What is there as foods and other thing for fish to stay Healthy happy fish?
I do not like to use med's also.
Is there anything esle that I need to look at that you all know that also help me?
For example, ich can be treated by raising the temperature to the low 90's for a few days.
Thank you for that BILL anything like more of that I did not see in a books?

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Popeye can be caused by many pathogens and diseases. Its presence means that there is a buildup of fluid behind the eye, in the eye socket, and possibly, in other places.

About the only treatment is dosing with a broad spectrum antibiotic, either in the water or, better, injected into the eye.

I think the prognosis is poor for fish with that symptom.

I don't know of any other "unpublished" treatments like raising the temperature to fight an ich outbreak (actually, that treatment is well documented), but to echo what Tom said, keeping the disease at bay by maintaining a clean, healthy aquarium is the best way to deal with fish diseases.

Good luck!

Bill

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
RE: Popeye

Popeye has any number of origins, but most all are bacterial in nature. As was stated previously it is generally caused by fluid buildup behind the eye, but can also be caused by hemoragic swelling, and combat wounds.

I would treat with an anti bacterial such as Furazolidone, or Furaloid, and medicated food such as Krill soaked in Kanamyacin (any antibiotic will have to be mixed down with R/O) or perhaps the Jungle medicated foods. Full treatment is 10 days to two weeks

If the overall color around the eye is light colored give it a shot, but if the color is dark or bloody please euthanize the animal. That is a hemoragic swelling and is often incurable by the time you are witnessing sypmtoms, and is a miserably painful way to die. :( Best of Luck, Prof M

fishtk75

Prolific Poster
Oct 15, 2006
PA
Professor Myers;11837 said:
Popeye has any number of origins, but most all are bacterial in nature. As was stated previously it is generally caused by fluid buildup behind the eye, but can also be caused by hemoragic swelling, and combat wounds.

I would treat with an anti bacterial such as Furazolidone, or Furaloid, and medicated food such as Krill soaked in Kanamyacin (any antibiotic will have to be mixed down with R/O) or perhaps the Jungle medicated foods. Full treatment is 10 days to two weeks

If the overall color around the eye is light colored give it a shot, but if the color is dark or bloody please euthanize the animal. That is a hemoragic swelling and is often incurable by the time you are witnessing sypmtoms, and is a miserably painful way to die. :( Best of Luck, Prof M

thank you all for your help is there a page or chart that show the signs and tells you what it is that you all know of that what you all have just told me about all the other infections and parasites too?

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
None that come to mind...

One of the best generalized references would be "The Manual Of Fish Health" by Chris Andrews on Tetra Press Manual Of Fish Health - Andrew, Chris (Never buy Geek Books New) Someone else's wife has already tossed them out !!! :D

Other than that if you'd like me to disseminate 40 years in the hobby, 9 years in College, and 21 years in the industry I'm afraid you've caught me unprepared. It was hard enough cramming all that in there. Digging it back out gets a bit sticky ! :eek: HTH. Prof M

fishtk75

Prolific Poster
Oct 15, 2006
PA
Professor Myers;11889 said:
One of the best generalized references would be "The Manual Of Fish Health" by Chris Andrews on Tetra Press Manual Of Fish Health - Andrew, Chris (Never buy Geek Books New) Someone else's wife has already tossed them out !!! :D

Other than that if you'd like me to disseminate 40 years in the hobby, 9 years in College, and 21 years in the industry I'm afraid you've caught me unprepared. It was hard enough cramming all that in there. Digging it back out gets a bit sticky ! :eek: HTH. Prof M

No that ok 40 years I do not have to read.
But thank you for the book to read.

fishtk75

Prolific Poster
Oct 15, 2006
PA
Professor Myers;11837 said:

Professor Myers,
I forgot to ask were do you but thems anti bacterials at?
I looked and can not find any brands names?