This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Fish Breeder Converting To Plants

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LittleBrownDog, Apr 5, 2018.

1. LittleBrownDog

LittleBrownDog New Member

Local Time:
    12:04 PM
    Hello,

I have never made a serious attempt at a planted aquascape. I have kept and breed various cichlids over the years. As I have gotten older and other hobbies/responsibilities have taken time and space, I have decided to move away from focusing on breeding.

I am planning a 125 gallon tank dosed with excel and EI at 1/4th strength. I am going to try to create a passable nature aquarium that allows my dwarf cichlids to breed and have enough plant mass to support self sustaining colonies of Psuedomugil and maybe a West African Killifish.

I have enjoyed lurking this forum and have learned a ton already.

Christophe likes this.
  2. Fissh

Fissh New Member

Local Time:
    12:04 PM
    Sounds interesting!
    With a large plant mass (enough to sustain colonies mentioned above) not sure I would dose 1/4. Full dose 1-2x a week would be better.
    Ideally since you want to support the colonies I would try to get some full grown plants in there.... low tech has slower growth overall.
    For fry cover I make a “cloud” mix of red root floaters, water Sprite, and riccia. Both my kubotai and ricefish survive well with this mix... plus Being heavily planted helps.
    Good luck!

Tags: