Washington, DC
Product reviews:
★★★★★ = top-grade with wow factor
★★★★☆ = excellent product
★★★☆☆ = more or less average
★★☆☆☆ = second-rate
★☆☆☆☆ = low-grade crap
★★★★★ Hydor InLine Aquarium Heater, 200W

★★★★★ Portable "GFCI" a ground fault circuit interrupter. A must have if you value your life. :gw

★★★☆☆ DJ 100 Multi-Filter High marks for it's versatility and quiet operation. This comes with an adjustable 90 gph flow rate, a 1/2'' hose fitting for tubing to the outflow and an adjustable aerator. I am adding DIY CO2 to the filter, using it as an internal CO2 reactor. It would have required cleaning weekly except I removed all of the filters to improve flow.

★★★☆☆
Koralia nano

★★★☆☆
Eheim Pro II, 2026
5/8" fitings, Filters 172 gph, quiet, easy to use, easy to clean, easy to break.
Eheim 2026 Review on TPT

★★★☆☆ Eheim ECCO External Canister Filter 2232
106 gal/hr (75% flow rate after adding an inline heater and a spray bar) ≈ 80 GPH The axle to the impeller bent when cleaning and needed to be replaced. It also has a lower flow rate then I expected. I now use it as a spare in case of an emergency.

★★★☆☆ Current USA Satellite Dual Compact Fluorescent, 2X18 Watts. Dimensions: 12.50" X 7.50" X 2.75" It is now doing great on a 10 gal. planted tank.

★★★☆☆ Current USA SunDial 24" T5HO
The design has one huge draw back, there is no way to suspend it above the tank. My option to reduce the amount of light has been to run one bulb at a time. IMHO, there are probably better lighting options.

Koi Angels, Pterophyllum scalare var.
Red lizard whiptail (L-10a)
Oto Cats, Otocinclus vestitus
RCS, N. denticulata sinensis,
:eek: dragonfly naiads.
MTS, just one turned up in my tank and just one turns into a lot.
Assassin snail, Anentome helena Starved, not big on MTS diets. SAE, Crossocheilus siamensis, (Jumper, at 3" mine jumped out of the water and died. 18sep09)[/QUOTE]

FLORA
It is remarkable how many plants are needed to fill two square feet.
Petite Nana, Anubias Pygmy nana
Nymphaea zenkeri red
Cryptocoryne parva, Tiny cryptocoryne Riccia fluitans,Crystalwort
Java Fern, Microsorum pteropus
Echinodorus 'Hot Pepper'
Echinodorus parviflorus 'tropica'
Aponogeton

Last edited by a moderator:

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Update

Some lessons learned:

SAM,
MarkP;11535 said:
Submersed Aquatic Macrophyte (Plants or Algae big enough to see)
Cleanliness is next to godliness.

Light is what drives plant growth and c02 / nutrient requirements.

Low nutrient levels only exacerbate algae problems.

A Guppy eats everything.

P5040021.jpg

P8190016.jpg

P8210022.jpg

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
Just an opinion on this
Current USA SunDial 96W T5, 24"

96W T5HO on a 20USG is a HUGE amount of light!!! Not needed in the slightest

The less I mess with the tank the better. Plan ahead!
Agreed. For the unexperienced there are a huge amount of problems due to disturbing the substrate.

Start with low light plants like Vals and low light. Then in a few weeks increase the lighting and add plants like grasses.

Incorrect. I do this but I have the knowledge ofhow to do it without incurring algae. Most people expecially under half the light you are using upward will vouch for getting very fast growing stems in there as they will outcompete the algae whilst the slow growers get settled in.

Under 4.8WPG of T5HO (Think more a case of 9WPG due to the T5HO being far superior to T12) and using slow growers only I can only se 1 result....algae.

If by low light you mean only using 1 24W tube over the tank then I would still call this medium light with the tube in question being T5HO.

AC

A Guppy eats everything.

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
SuperColey1;34987 said:
If by low light you mean only using 1 24W tube over the tank then I would still call this medium light with the tube in question being T5HO.
The algae problems are better after the second month. Poor plant growth indirectly leads to algae - nice discussion here by Tom on algae. I'm thinking radical shit bro, not just taking out a light bulb. Like, low nutrient levels exacerbate algae problems. After an increase in nutrients and improving the water circulation GSA & BBA is less of a problem and/or my SAE are eating away at it. Light on this tank runs closer to 1.5 wpg with only one 24 watt lamp running (except for one three hour overlap when two bulbs take it closer to 3.) I fear a more difficult problem is low CO2.