This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FISH/AQUARIUM/PLANTS/Stuff

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Tug, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Product reviews:
    ★★★★★ = top-grade with wow factor
    ★★★★☆ = excellent product
    ★★★☆☆ = more or less average
    ★★☆☆☆ = second-rate
    ★☆☆☆☆ = low-grade crap

Koi Angels, Pterophyllum scalare var.
    Red lizard whiptail (L-10a)
    Oto Cats, Otocinclus vestitus
    RCS, N. denticulata sinensis,
    :eek: dragonfly naiads.
    MTS, just one turned up in my tank and just one turns into a lot.
    Assassin snail, Anentome helena Starved, not big on MTS diets. SAE, Crossocheilus siamensis, (Jumper, at 3" mine jumped out of the water and died. 18sep09)[/QUOTE]

FLORA
    It is remarkable how many plants are needed to fill two square feet.

#1 Tug, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  2. Tug

Lifetime Member

Update

Some lessons learned:

SAM,
    Cleanliness is next to godliness.

Light is what drives plant growth and c02 / nutrient requirements.

Low nutrient levels only exacerbate algae problems.

A Guppy eats everything.

Attached Files:

3. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Guru Class Expert

Just an opinion on this
    96W T5HO on a 20USG is a HUGE amount of light!!! Not needed in the slightest

Agreed. For the unexperienced there are a huge amount of problems due to disturbing the substrate.

Incorrect. I do this but I have the knowledge ofhow to do it without incurring algae. Most people expecially under half the light you are using upward will vouch for getting very fast growing stems in there as they will outcompete the algae whilst the slow growers get settled in.

Under 4.8WPG of T5HO (Think more a case of 9WPG due to the T5HO being far superior to T12) and using slow growers only I can only se 1 result....algae.

If by low light you mean only using 1 24W tube over the tank then I would still call this medium light with the tube in question being T5HO.

AC

A Guppy eats everything.

4. Tug

Lifetime Member

The algae problems are better after the second month. Poor plant growth indirectly leads to algae - nice discussion here by Tom on algae. I'm thinking radical shit bro, not just taking out a light bulb. Like, low nutrient levels exacerbate algae problems. After an increase in nutrients and improving the water circulation GSA & BBA is less of a problem and/or my SAE are eating away at it. Light on this tank runs closer to 1.5 wpg with only one 24 watt lamp running (except for one three hour overlap when two bulbs take it closer to 3.) I fear a more difficult problem is low CO2.