First Post, Will This WorK?

BlakeL

Junior Poster
Sep 22, 2009
So, I found a 46g Bowfront for $50 with stand and all it needs is some new silicone and the trim painted black. I just sold some stuff on eBay/Half.com so I should be able to pick it up in a week or two. Here is my plan so far:

Tank: 46g Bowfront
Substrate: MTS w/ Possible Flourite Black
Lighting: Fishneedit 36" 2x39w T5HO (Is this enough or too much?)
Filter: Rena XP3
Heater: Rena Smart Heater as Intake
Dosing: Would like to try the EI method with the $19.99 Package from GLA
Co2: None

Approx. Equipment Cost: $300

As far as aquascaping goes, I kind of prefer the Iwagumi style with maybe a few tall plants. I am not sure this can come out good without Co2. Any plant ideas, mainly for the foreground carpet? Also, The time between the aquarium setup and water will be awhile because of lack of funds, so is it a good idea to grow the carpet without water for a couple of weeks, kind of like what people do with HC.

Thanks,
Blake

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Welcome!

If you are not using c02, I would say that only 1 of the bulbs will be needed. Just do what you can to see that the spread of the one bulb is optimal.....

Remember that the more light, the more need for c02 and other nutrients.....

Your two bulbs is not overkill, but with n0 c02, I think too much.

You may only need a much reduced EI dosing with the lower light and no c02. Start with 20% of the EI for your size tank and go from there....

You can dose Excel if you want, but is expensive.

I think the DSM (dry start method) is nice, but if you go this route, esp with HC, you may found it is hard to maintain with water in the tank and no c02....Again the excel may help here.

How about the small chain sword? These do well with no c02 I have found, or the small sag? Glosso may also work well here....

BlakeL

Junior Poster
Sep 22, 2009
Gerryd;41592 said:
Welcome!

If you are not using c02, I would say that only 1 of the bulbs will be needed. Just do what you can to see that the spread of the one bulb is optimal.....

Remember that the more light, the more need for c02 and other nutrients.....

Your two bulbs is not overkill, but with n0 c02, I think too much.

You may only need a much reduced EI dosing with the lower light and no c02. Start with 20% of the EI for your size tank and go from there....

You can dose Excel if you want, but is expensive.

I think the DSM (dry start method) is nice, but if you go this route, esp with HC, you may found it is hard to maintain with water in the tank and no c02....Again the excel may help here.

How about the small chain sword? These do well with no c02 I have found, or the small sag? Glosso may also work well here....

I was thinking of using micro swords for the foreground.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Welcome!

Hi Blake,

What Gerry said. Gerry is very smart.;)

I am not sure I know what an “EI method with the $19.99 Package from GLA,” is, can you provide a link or information?

I think the HC is going to be a serious problem without CO2; I think even Excel would be a tough route, not to mention rather expensive.

The Pygmy Chain Sword, Echinodorus tenellus, is almost impossible to kill, does well in low light, low CO2.:)

Dwarf Sagittaria, Sagittaria subulata is another good choice, I think you can easily get away with a single bulb as Gerry suggested. Many say Dwarf Sag does not do well with Excel, though this has not been my experience, so far my Dwarf Sag is doing just fine with Excel and should do alright with no added CO2, I think.

As far as Glosso, Glossostigma elatinoides I think Gerry knows more than I do with these, I find they need higher light than you are going to want if you are going without CO2. To be honest I have never grown Glosso without CO2, so I really don’t know. I have had no success keeping Glosso growing low in less than moderate-high lighting.

Don’t know if I helped, usually I don’t…:eek:

Biollante

BlakeL

Junior Poster
Sep 22, 2009
Biollante;41609 said:
Hi Blake,

What Gerry said. Gerry is very smart.;)

I am not sure I know what an “EI method with the $19.99 Package from GLA,” is, can you provide a link or information?

I think the HC is going to be a serious problem without CO2; I think even Excel would be a tough route, not to mention rather expensive.

The Pygmy Chain Sword, Echinodorus tenellus, is almost impossible to kill, does well in low light, low CO2.:)

Dwarf Sagittaria, Sagittaria subulata is another good choice, I think you can easily get away with a single bulb as Gerry suggested. Many say Dwarf Sag does not do well with Excel, though this has not been my experience, so far my Dwarf Sag is doing just fine with Excel and should do alright with no added CO2, I think.

As far as Glosso, Glossostigma elatinoides I think Gerry knows more than I do with these, I find they need higher light than you are going to want if you are going without CO2. To be honest I have never grown Glosso without CO2, so I really don’t know. I have had no success keeping Glosso growing low in less than moderate-high lighting.

Don’t know if I helped, usually I don’t…:eek:

Biollante

I was not planning on using HC, just something that can be used as a foreground plant with low light. HERE is a link to the fertilizer. I would rather not use Excel if I don't have too.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
You can buy the same thing, but get a full pound of KH2PO4 and CSM+B through aquariumfertilizer.com for $1 more. Shipping should be about $8.

The XP3 should be enough if you toss in a good power head or two, depending on your planned density. For all of $10 more you can go up to the XP4 if you're going to order. Check ebay; I managed to get one for $190 shipped not long ago.

-Philosophos