Fire extinguisher Co2 set up.

rickycxiong

Junior Poster
Aug 31, 2012
I heard Co2 Fire extinguishers are another way someone can provide Co2 to their aquatic plants, but is it reliable? and are there better, cheaper methods?

I have a 75gallon tank and was wondering what would be the best method to provide co2 to the tank with low costs.

Darkblade48

Guru Class Expert
Dec 16, 2009
I use a CO2 fire extinguisher (it is bright red) for injecting CO2.

It works fine...It is as reliable as any other pressurized CO2 system; I don't see why it would not be.

CO2 gas is CO2 gas.

For a 75 gallon aquarium, I would say pressurized CO2 is the least hassle.

mi5haha

Prolific Poster
Oct 12, 2008
Cylinder wall materials and corresponding thickness talk for their capability of holding high pressure liquid Co2. Almost the same from the view of the cylinder manufacturers.

However, the extinguisher cylinders sometime are using one-time-use valves, not the angle valves on Co2 cylinders. If that is the case, you'd better change it to dedicate Co2 valves, or figure out the way to control this valve, or sometimes it may not be able to completely close.

rickycxiong

Junior Poster
Aug 31, 2012
I was also wondering if it was possible, since I live in America, to use American Fire extinguishers for a planted tank. Would the regulator fit? or does the American Fire extinguisher need something different?

Sorry I'm new to all of this, so please bare with me.

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
It's been my experience that converting a fire extinguisher over to a co2 cylinder costs about the same as buying a new #5 cga-320 co2 cylinder. You'd be paying for the fire extinguisher, the tank fitting, labor and a hydro test.

rickycxiong

Junior Poster
Aug 31, 2012
oldpunk;91688 said:
It's been my experience that converting a fire extinguisher over to a co2 cylinder costs about the same as buying a new #5 cga-320 co2 cylinder. You'd be paying for the fire extinguisher, the tank fitting, labor and a hydro test.

Can you refill the cga-320 Co2 Cylinder at local fire extinguisher refill shop?

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
That's where I get mine filled. Like, half the price of my local airgas or other welding type place.

paolinobg

Jul 12, 2019
Australia
Hi guys , I bought a co2 extinguisher and it has a G1 3/8" famale connector.
Online I can find a valve gauge with G5/8 or W 21.8.
Does someone is able to explain and help me which one I have to buy?
Do I need a connector in between?
Thx

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk