This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

finnex ray 2 and a finnex planted plus on a 120G , need advice.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by cbucner, Mar 1, 2015.

1. cbucner

cbucner Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:36 PM
    Hello , like the title says I have 2 leds on my tank now and looking for some advice from the pros if this setup is the right one.

I would like to know if this is a low-med-high setup .

So the tank is 6ft long by 18 deep by 23 tall, the lights are a finnex ray 2 led and a finnex planted plus . Now the lights are 48 inches but I raised them about 5 inches and they cover end to end pretty good. They are one next to the other one, on the center of the tank.

I got co2 at about 30ppm, ph at 6.8 held by a controller 24h running, kh at 6 , and I did the 24h degas test with a 1.0-1.1 dif so estimated 30ppm co2.

I started introducing plants , at this stage I'm still experimenting to kinda find out the best fertilization , light , co2 balance.

Lights are on a timer and start both at the same time , running for about 11h a day.

As far as ferts I just started with flourish comprehensive for the past week, twice a week, didnt get into the npk yet.

Some plants are doing well some not so great.I can see the growing but after a while the older leaves tend to get algae on them. there is some bba on the tank kinda spead out.

These are my questions.

With this light setup how many h a day would be good for the plants, am I over doing it at 11h?

I am affraid that once I start the npk the algae will do even better since it is doing good now.

What PAR this setup have? Should I lift them or get 2ft lights to cover the ends better?

Is npk a must with this light setup.?

I have 2 eheim 2217 running with returns on wide nozzles right under the surface creating small ripple, not alot of surface agitation, the returns are plumbed one on each end of the tank.

I could say that there is not alot of circulation going , hence some deposits on the leaves and some spots on the aquarium, picked up an eheim compact pump to plumb on the ouside of the tank with 2 returns to circulate some more towards the center.I had a circulation pump but hate the look of it in the tank plus there is no adjustability.

So that raises another question, how much circulation is needed?There is lots of other questions but I will post them on the appropiate forums.

Thanks

2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm not terribly familiar with Finnex LED's, but taking hints from the PAR data that's available for Ray 2 http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189944 and Planted Plus http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/lighting/89697-par-data-mini-review-finnex-planted.html, I'd guess you have about moderate light with the lights placed as you have them.

11 hours is long, you could do well at 6 and I wouldn't go over 8. Shortening the photoperiod might go a long way toward reducing your algae.

The other piece is NPK fertilization -- you need to make those things available to your plants (they're being out-competed for what's there now) so they can grow.

3. cbucner

cbucner Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I just got my scale ready today , increased the circulation with an eheim external pump and next I will downsize the timer for the lights and start the npk.