This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Filtration for a 180

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jonathan11, Mar 29, 2011.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:32 PM
    Guys, help me out. I have my dream tank, a 180 glass aquarium. Originally set up for sw, it has 2 ea. 2 3/8" diameter holes in the bottom glass, one at each end.
    I would like to keep as much mechanical stuff out of the tank as possible. I had originally planned, and bought, a FX5 for filtration. I want to feed this filter from one end of the tank, insert a Lifeguard heater module model AF-92-19 (purchased), a Rex Grigg CO2 reactor, and a return line, in series, to the other end of the tank.
    Looking around, I'm starting to have some doubts about the ability of one FX5 or equivalent being capable of driving the water through both the heater and the reactor and still filtering the tank. The intake/return lines are 1" diameter, which would create a problem-if I need 2 filters, and don't want to run return lines otb, does anyone know of another way of getting 2ea 1" lines through those holes-fitting, etc.? Is the single FX 5 capable of doing all this?
    Would additional powerheads be necessary to provide internal tank circulation? If they are, would a couple of RIO 600 RVTs do the job (or larger)? If the power heads need to be used, then the reactor (Rex) might be eliminated, and I could use the RIOs for CO2 circulation (misting). I use the RIOs in my 75, but they seem a bit weak sometimes.
    I might add, on Monster Fish, there's an excellent comparison between the FX5 and Eheim 2080 Pro 3.
    Hopefully, that covers my concerns. Thx in advance.:):)

Walter

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    more Info

Hi Walter,

I recommend a sump for larger aquariums (say more than 5-gallons (19 LITERS):p).

As with most things, what you are trying to accomplish will determine the best fit…:)

In general, yes, I think the will be too small even before you add the heater.

Though highly controversial here, I recommend a pressure rated pump, prefer educators for extra circulation and mixing, the Fluval FX5 in addition to the sump with heater or inline heater, since you are injecting CO2 you may wish to consider separate loops. I would stick with two inch plumbing; Gerry and others have good threads around here on plumbing. :gw

More details on plans help to narrow down the answers.:)

Biollante

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Bio,

I think the only thing that is controversial is your recommendation to use TEACHERS for extra circulation and mixing. Not sure how using our poorly compensated and over extended educators will help with this specific application :)

I think using EDUCTORS however is a viable alternative....

All joking aside, Bio is right on in asking for your short and longer term goals..

Many of us have 180 gal tanks and I bet we ALL do something different for filtration, c02, and extra flow.

That being said, I think the FX5 can handle the filtration, but would NOT recommend it doing the c02 and heater as well..

There is only ONE bulkhead per side?????? Mine has two holes on each end. One pair of intake/outlet. Intakes are 1" and the outlets are 3/4...

Details please....

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Teachers Mix Better, However Can Emit Strange Noises, Any Solution for the Noise?

Hi Gerry,

Oopps!:eek:

Teachers are kind of noisy but work well for the larger tanks and ponds... :gw

And given the funding shortfalls, they are easy to find!:eek:

Biollante

5. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Only one bulkhead per side, 2 3/8" in diameter, that is correct. I've decided to use 2 ea Maxijet 1200s, with turbo kit (similar to RIO 600 RVT), on each side to mist my CO2 into the tank-I need them anyway for internal circulation, might as well utilize them for misting as well. This will eliminate the reactor from the series circuit, leaving the pump and heater module only in the circuit. My initial goal is to establish a planted tank, add small schooling fish, and go from there.
    Thx for the aid, and any other comments/help would be appreciated.

Walter

6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Walter,

A man after my own heart to have a 180 and want to stock it with small schoolers :) I get a lot of comments about my doing that in the past..

I think the dual powerheads will be fine. I totally advocate splitting filtration, c02 diffusion, and extra flow as separate entities...Larger tanks simply need more planning this way. Just a fact...

I think you will fine. You MAY want to think about splitting the canister output so that SOME bypasses the heater and goes on to the tank. This will reduce backpressure on the canisters and improve flow. You want to be careful as the heater flow may be much less than the fx5 produces. You will lose it in the heater if too small....

What type of fish? I have had many pencil species and cardinals for many years before I recently went in a different direction. I love small fish but they do get lost in such a large tank. I had >300 cardinals at one time and was amazing how they all could hide if they wanted to...

Keep us posted...