Filtration for 50 gallon Tank

kevinbkk

Jan 3, 2012
Recently i build Acrylic tank approx 50 gallon (36x18x20 high). what would be the recommended filtration system i should use it for this tank?, i have ehiem 2217 , i have mame oveflow, i am open for drilling the tank for herbie, or bean animal overflow, unfortunately i don't have access to CPR overflows as they are not available in my country, and it will get too expensive to import from US , while i have to run the return through a chiller to keep my tank cool due to high temperature here in Thailand , so i have to consider a drop in flow too

vilenarios

Junior Poster
Jun 29, 2015
I was planning on using a Eheim 2217 on an upcoming build for a 62 gallon tank, with a Koralia 425 to help with some of the flow on the opposite end of the tank. Was going to put in an inline heater and inline co2 diffuser as well. From what I have read, I think it should be enough, but time will tell.

kevinmichael77

Guru Class Expert
Oct 5, 2012
Wisconsin
vilenarios said:
I was planning on using a Eheim 2217 on an upcoming build for a 62 gallon tank, with a Koralia 425 to help with some of the flow on the opposite end of the tank. Was going to put in an inline heater and inline co2 diffuser as well. From what I have read, I think it should be enough, but time will tell.

Should be ok depending on the length of the tank. I have a 2217 on my 40b with an inline heater and it's just about perfect. I have an MP-10 that I run for additional flow but I don't think I'd run the 2217 on anything larger that what I have. The flow is decent but I'd like a bit more push. Had I bought everything specifically for my 40b I think I would have bough a bit larger of a canister.

Kev

superflame

Prolific Poster
May 10, 2011
I agree with others, keep the 2217 and get additional pump for the other side to circular the water.

kevinbkk

Jan 3, 2012
hi i tried Ehiem without inline chiller the flow was ok, but with inline chiller flow was not good,what if i wish to add a Co2 reactor as well, so i decided to drill the tank (arcylic are easy to drill and glue) and stick an external bean animal type overflow box and a sump , this will give me good flow and bean animal overflow will insure safety and no noise, below are the pictures

i have tested it with ehiem compaq + marine pump by adjusting flow rate to approximate 1500 litres , all works good, i have used 3/4 pipe with ball valve for first two drains line and 1 inch pipe for emergency drain . Flow is quiet good , overflow is dead silent,

now my next problem is to build a sump , i was thinking a two chamber sump one for trickle tower , and other for water storage /return pump , i have 3 drain lines, if i am not wrong then i will get only the main drain line into the sealed trickle tower as other two lines will mostly run dry and this may cause Co2 to escape, but then i am bit confused here as the main drain which goes into the trickle tower will have full siphon, so there is no chance for Co2/other gasses to escape from the trickle tower as its sealed but then trickle towers are wet/dry filters, it relies on atmospheric oxygen if no air reaching bioballs then will it be as efficient as non sealed once

please advice