This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

filter died. am I ok without a filter for a couple weeks?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by greebzilla, Feb 6, 2012.

1. greebzilla

greebzilla Subscriber

Local Time:
    3:37 PM
    hello,

I have a 90 gallon tank which had a Filstar XP4 filter conk out last night (slippery hands, a SuperBowl, and a dropped motor may have something to do with this) while I was cleaning it out. I decided that the tank would be fine without a filter (its planted with a lot of water sprite, giant hygro, anacharis, and some recently added java moss which all seem to grow pretty darn fast and I do a 40-50% water change weekly) for a while until I decided what I wanted to do. I'll continue to fiddle with the Filstar but we'll see.

I can put in a powerhead in the meantime for some water movement, but overnight a gourami has built up a bubble nest. I'd like to see how far along he gets with the bubble nest this time, so am I ok for a week or two without a filter? I can up the frequency of the water change to several times during the week at a smaller amount if necessary but since most of the plants I have seem to be very fast growing, I think the nutrient uptake should be ok.

I am thinking of constructing a sump underneath with a hang on back mechanism to feed it since I have most of the parts to do this already, but I would be curious what others would do :)

setup:
    90 gallon tank
    2 LED strips for lighting (on for about 11 hours daily with some dark times)
    inline CO2 injection (which will need to change)
    EI dosing 3x weekly
    sand substrate

thank you,
    D

2. lipadj46

lipadj46 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites but your plants are probably using the majority of the ammonia and have bb on their leaves keep the flow up

sent from my ti-85 during chemistry class

3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Trying Out for the New England Patriots?

Hi Gilles,

How long has the tank been setup?:confused:

You Gourami’s may need to cool their ardor; the survival of your tank is at issue.:gw

You need to get circulation and/or aeration going immediately; loss of that much biological filtration all at once is dangerous.:eek:

If you have another pump, get a container and get all the stuff from the filter into the container add aquarium water and set up a siphon, pump return system, you may be going to a sump a lot sooner than you thought.

If you are not able or willing to set up a siphon system, elevate your container (make shift filter) above the tank, use the pump to push the water to the container and a gravity feed back to the aquarium.

• It will look like crap but your system will survive your imitation of a Patriot’s receiver.

If it is a reasonably established tank, been going for a year or more you have a good chance of making it with an extra, large water change or two thrown in. If it is a younger tank figure on large water changes, three days apart until your filter gets going.

I assume you are keeping the biologic material in the tank or alive. If you lose the viability of the bacteria and fungus then you will need to continue large water changes for quite a while.

Biollante

4. greebzilla

greebzilla Subscriber

Local Time:
    the tank has been only up for about 4 months.
    I am looking at what I can do in the meantime with the contents of the canister as you suggest.

thank you for your input!
    D