This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

filter/co2

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by Jeremy1, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Jeremy1

Jeremy1 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    7:07 PM
    What do you guys think about running CO2 directly into the canister filter intake? I am using Redseas reactor 500 and am not satisfied with my CO2 levels. I just routed my tubing into the intake of my Ecco 2336. My question is, can I hurt my filter by doing this and does it affect the biological filtration inside filter? Thanks

Jeremy

2. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    7:07 PM
    I also feed my CO2 directly into my canister filter (Eheim 2217) and it improves the CO2 levels in my tank (disolves much better).

The gas would have to build up at the top of the filter somewhere, where the impellor is, meaning that the impellor may not be fully covered by water. But I guess at the rate that I am pumping it in it will gradually make it's way to the top of the filter (i.e. a lot of bubbles would get trapped in the filter media itself), so this probably isn't a problem.

The biological filteration seems to be fine too - I would expect that if huge quantitities of the gas were being pumped in it might cause an issue but a few bubbles of CO2 shouldn't cause any harm.

I have been pumping the CO2 into my canister for ages now and haven't had any problems with the filter or the water quality (i.e. no affect on biological filteration).