Filstar Bio Chem Zorb

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Hello,

Like everyone else I like crystal clear water and since I installed the new Rena canisters my water is crystal, crystal clear. I think the Bio Chem Zorb is mostly responsible for this and I would like to use it all the time but, since I read and read and read on other forums how bad Bio Chem Zorb is for planted tanks I am a little confused:confused:. Really, I was unable to find a good comment about Bio Chem Zorb. It looks like all the credit goes to Purigen. Should I or should I not use the Bio Chem Zorb in the future? Btw, for some reason I do not like Purigen and all the regeneration c**p. :eek:

One unrelated Q: is the API phosphate test kit any good?

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
No Expert I, Not That Ever Stops Me From Answering!

Hi,

Not an expert on anything and I have never used Bio Chem Zorb, I have used some of the competitors. Also, I am personally not a fan of running carbon or anything else all the time. :)

Having said all of that let me say that if you are happy and your plants are growing I do not see the problem. :cool:

Filter materials like carbon, Purigen, bio-chem and so forth principally remove organics and metals.I have run Bio-chem and Purigen as well as carbon and zeolite for considerable periods (months) and never have I seen a problem with the plants. :gw

As long as you are dosing with salts I seriously doubt there is a problem. I have done no studies on the matter, I simply think people like to keep repeating the same things someone else said way back when so that no one argues or disagrees with them. :rolleyes:

Biollante

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Biollante;56185 said:
Hi,

Not an expert on anything and I have never used Bio Chem Zorb, I have used some of the competitors. Also, I am personally not a fan of running carbon or anything else all the time. :)

Having said all of that let me say that if you are happy and your plants are growing I do not see the problem. :cool:

Filter materials like carbon, Purigen, bio-chem and so forth principally remove organics and metals.I have run Bio-chem and Purigen as well as carbon and zeolite for considerable periods (months) and never have I seen a problem with the plants. :gw

As long as you are dosing with salts I seriously doubt there is a problem. I have done no studies on the matter, I simply think people like to keep repeating the same things someone else said way back when so that no one argues or disagrees with them. :rolleyes:

Biollante

Hi Bio,

Thanks a lot again for your help. I just read that the only difference between Bio Chem Zorb and Purigen is that the Purigen can be recharged a few times. Since I am not looking to recharge the Purigen in order to save a few bucks, I'll stick with Bio Chem Zorb. I always used activated carbon and Purigen on my HOBs before I bought the canisters. And yes, the plants are OK but, I dose EI on the heavy side. Lots of Iron also:)

H

Htomassini

What about nitrate? Purigen claims it removes organics and nitratre, will it suck up the nitrate in KNO3?

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Htomassini;56192 said:
What about nitrate? Purigen claims it removes organics and nitratre, will it suck up the nitrate in KNO3?

I used Purigen before and my nitrate levels remained the same. Maybe some folks here know better.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Still Not An Expert, Still Not Inhibited From Offering My Unworthy Comments

Hi,

It would be nice to have one of the smarter-than-the-rest-of-us types to explain this to us. :)

There appears to be a difference between organically derived Nitrates and salts. The organics are removed. As far as I can tell the salts are left alone, at least until, they are converted to organic material. :rolleyes:

{Disclaimer: I know this will never satisfy any of the Guru types, it is meant only to satisfy my curiosity, so unless you have constructive suggestions, please keep your churlish and/or obscene comments to yourself.}

• I have some Chemi-pure, Purigen, Zeolite and a couple of grades of activated carbon, so when I get a little time I will see if I can run organic Nitrates against a similar concentration of Nitrates from KNO3, Ca(NO3)2 and whatever else I have lying around.
  • I have not looked a lot yet, if this has been credible done, please let me know.
  • Right now, I envision this as some kind of column with equal quantities/strength of organically derived Nitrates against Nitrates from salts.

Forgot to answer your API test kit question, API is as good as and maybe even a little better than the hobbyist kits as long as you calibrate! :)

Biollante

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Lol, guess what? I ended up buying 4 100ml Purigen bags. ( and........2 Aqua Clear 70 HOBs, 2 Rena air pumps and some other stuff). My wife is going to kill me but, I got tired of my old noisy "too big" Emperors and my noisy broken Whisper pumps. The new HOB filters will complement my new Rena canisters. Btw, Petmountain has 10% off and only $6.99 shipping until Oct. the 4th.
Oh, I will calibrate Bio.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Htomassini

Can you please point to me where to look to calibrate these api kits?

Thanks