This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Filstar Bio Chem Zorb

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by barbarossa4122, Oct 2, 2010.

1. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    11:51 PM
    Hello,

Like everyone else I like crystal clear water and since I installed the new Rena canisters my water is crystal, crystal clear. I think the Bio Chem Zorb is mostly responsible for this and I would like to use it all the time but, since I read and read and read on other forums how bad Bio Chem Zorb is for planted tanks I am a little confused:confused:. Really, I was unable to find a good comment about Bio Chem Zorb. It looks like all the credit goes to Purigen. Should I or should I not use the Bio Chem Zorb in the future? Btw, for some reason I do not like Purigen and all the regeneration c**p. :eek:

One unrelated Q: is the API phosphate test kit any good?

#1 barbarossa4122, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    No Expert I, Not That Ever Stops Me From Answering!

Hi,

Not an expert on anything and I have never used Bio Chem Zorb, I have used some of the competitors. Also, I am personally not a fan of running carbon or anything else all the time. :)

Having said all of that let me say that if you are happy and your plants are growing I do not see the problem. :cool:

Filter materials like carbon, Purigen, bio-chem and so forth principally remove organics and metals.I have run Bio-chem and Purigen as well as carbon and zeolite for considerable periods (months) and never have I seen a problem with the plants. :gw

As long as you are dosing with salts I seriously doubt there is a problem. I have done no studies on the matter, I simply think people like to keep repeating the same things someone else said way back when so that no one argues or disagrees with them. :rolleyes:

Biollante

3. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    Hi Bio,

Thanks a lot again for your help. I just read that the only difference between Bio Chem Zorb and Purigen is that the Purigen can be recharged a few times. Since I am not looking to recharge the Purigen in order to save a few bucks, I'll stick with Bio Chem Zorb. I always used activated carbon and Purigen on my HOBs before I bought the canisters. And yes, the plants are OK but, I dose EI on the heavy side. Lots of Iron also:)

4. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    5:51 PM
    What about nitrate? Purigen claims it removes organics and nitratre, will it suck up the nitrate in KNO3?

5. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    I used Purigen before and my nitrate levels remained the same. Maybe some folks here know better.

6. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Still Not An Expert, Still Not Inhibited From Offering My Unworthy Comments

Hi,

It would be nice to have one of the smarter-than-the-rest-of-us types to explain this to us. :)

There appears to be a difference between organically derived Nitrates and salts. The organics are removed. As far as I can tell the salts are left alone, at least until, they are converted to organic material. :rolleyes:

{Disclaimer: I know this will never satisfy any of the Guru types, it is meant only to satisfy my curiosity, so unless you have constructive suggestions, please keep your churlish and/or obscene comments to yourself.}

• I have some Chemi-pure, Purigen, Zeolite and a couple of grades of activated carbon, so when I get a little time I will see if I can run organic Nitrates against a similar concentration of Nitrates from KNO3, Ca(NO3)2 and whatever else I have lying around.
    • I have not looked a lot yet, if this has been credible done, please let me know.
    • Right now, I envision this as some kind of column with equal quantities/strength of organically derived Nitrates against Nitrates from salts.

Forgot to answer your API test kit question, API is as good as and maybe even a little better than the hobbyist kits as long as you calibrate! :)

Biollante

7. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    Lol, guess what? I ended up buying 4 100ml Purigen bags. ( and........2 Aqua Clear 70 HOBs, 2 Rena air pumps and some other stuff). My wife is going to kill me but, I got tired of my old noisy "too big" Emperors and my noisy broken Whisper pumps. The new HOB filters will complement my new Rena canisters. Btw, Petmountain has 10% off and only $6.99 shipping until Oct. the 4th.
    Oh, I will calibrate Bio.:)

#7 barbarossa4122, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  8. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    5:51 PM
    Can you please point to me where to look to calibrate these api kits?

Thanks

9. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    #9 barbarossa4122, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010