This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Film Along Glasswall Of Tank

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Hardwell, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Hardwell

Hardwell New Member

Local Time:
    1:45 AM
    Hi, names Hardwell, im a new member of the forum, originally from aquaticplantcentral and came here to get access for more variety of plants and to troubleshoot my issues, also a big fan of tom barr :) Not sure if this is the right area for my post but here is my issue.

I have a co2 injected 55g planted tank, somewhat densely planted. I dose EI method KNO3 1/4 tsp, Kh2PO4 1/8 tsp, K2SO4 1/8 tsp, and CSB-B 1/8 tsp, 50% WC on sunday. I do daily maintenance on it such as picking dead leaves out and dying leaves that are starting to grow BBA on them. I don't really have an algae issue besides a few BBA here and there but my main concern is the very thin slippery film that builds up along the glass wall. I can constantly wiping the inside glass down with a sponge every 2 days. Is it the same film that builds up on the surface?

Also, unrelated to the topic, where do I point my powerhead? I have a 600gph head and I tried to place it at the top left front so it points it at the front glass but the right bottom isn't receiving any flow. I don't see leaves moving. So I moved the powerhead to the top left back pointing towards the plant beds but now some of my limnophilas and pogostemon stellatus are blowing all over the place. So I aimed the powerhead somewhat higher. So the surface agitation i have is from my HOB filter and partially from the powerhead. Curious where you guys place your powerheads.

#1 Hardwell, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    NotASpammerDude likes this.
  2. Righteous

Righteous Subscriber

Local Time:
    7:45 AM
    Is the slippery film dark or clear? If it’s clear it’s just a biofilm of bacteria...which is a good thing. All tanks get it once cycled.

3. Hardwell

Hardwell New Member

Local Time:
    1:45 AM
    The film is foggy white. Tank is an established and cycled tank been running since beginning of this year. The water itself in the tank is clear but all 4 walls build up a thin slime of foggy white substance. I turned my HOB filter into a surface skimmer today going to see if this helps (Found a way to curve my intake up into the water surface). Trying to get a hold of this BBA. I know its a co2 issue based off of tom barrs posts. My tank water is at 4dkh, and my pH is at 6.6 or 6.8 I cant tell from the color meaning my CO2 is anywhere from 20-30ppm. I ordered a pH digital analyzer off amazon today to get more accurate readings. Too scared to turn co2 higher, dont want to gas my fish.

NotASpammerDude likes this.
Tags: