Filling after waiting through DSM HC growth

PJtree23

Junior Poster
Mar 16, 2009
Hey Everyone!

I have left my tank growing all summer with poor results, however my HC is well rooted. I am now going to fill up the tank.

I realize C02 is needed immediately, but when should I begin with the ferts?

Also, just to be clear I do a 90% water changes the first and second days after filling? (I am using ADA AS I)

I will update with pictures.

Thanks,

PJ

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I've started in with ferts after a week; seems to work fine. Some people would probably call it early, but I'd rather deal with stress symptoms from my fish than deformities in my plants. One takes a 50% water change to fix, the other could take weeks or months.

For water changes, none of my AAS I tanks have had issues with doing a 50-75% on the first and second days, then 50% water changes every 2-3 days for a week after. Mind you, all of these tanks already had established bacteria cultures and plant loads before hand.

-Philosophos

ceg4048

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2005
Hi,
I see no reason whatsoever to wait before adding nutrients to the tank, especially if one is adding CO2, which immediately raises the nutrient demand. I dose full values no later than 250 nanoseconds after the tank is filled. :cool:

The real problem is that many add too much light at the beginning which causes lots of issues. Keep the lighting intensity low the first 4-6 weeks or so until the tank stabilizes.

Cheers,

PJtree23

Junior Poster
Mar 16, 2009
ceg4048;39902 said:
Hi,
I see no reason whatsoever to wait before adding nutrients to the tank, especially if one is adding CO2, which immediately raises the nutrient demand. I dose full values no later than 250 nanoseconds after the tank is filled. :cool:

The real problem is that many add too much light at the beginning which causes lots of issues. Keep the lighting intensity low the first 4-6 weeks or so until the tank stabilizes.

Cheers,

sounds like a good idea but I wil be doing several water changes at the start. I was planning on waiting a few days before adding ferts.

Anymore input????

PJ

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Why Wait?

PJtree23;39903 said:
sounds like a good idea but I wil be doing several water changes at the start. I was planning on waiting a few days before adding ferts.

Anymore input????

PJ

I am with ceg4048,;) I start immediately, unless you are using expensive stuff, I see no reason to wait.:)

Biollante