This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filling after waiting through DSM HC growth

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by PJtree23, Aug 24, 2009.

1. PJtree23

PJtree23 Junior Poster

Hey Everyone!

I have left my tank growing all summer with poor results, however my HC is well rooted. I am now going to fill up the tank.

I realize C02 is needed immediately, but when should I begin with the ferts?

Also, just to be clear I do a 90% water changes the first and second days after filling? (I am using ADA AS I)

I will update with pictures.

Thanks,

PJ

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I've started in with ferts after a week; seems to work fine. Some people would probably call it early, but I'd rather deal with stress symptoms from my fish than deformities in my plants. One takes a 50% water change to fix, the other could take weeks or months.

For water changes, none of my AAS I tanks have had issues with doing a 50-75% on the first and second days, then 50% water changes every 2-3 days for a week after. Mind you, all of these tanks already had established bacteria cultures and plant loads before hand.

-Philosophos

3. ceg4048

ceg4048 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Hi,
    I see no reason whatsoever to wait before adding nutrients to the tank, especially if one is adding CO2, which immediately raises the nutrient demand. I dose full values no later than 250 nanoseconds after the tank is filled. :cool:

The real problem is that many add too much light at the beginning which causes lots of issues. Keep the lighting intensity low the first 4-6 weeks or so until the tank stabilizes.

Cheers,

4. PJtree23

PJtree23 Junior Poster

sounds like a good idea but I wil be doing several water changes at the start. I was planning on waiting a few days before adding ferts.

Anymore input????

PJ

5. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Why Wait?

I am with ceg4048,;) I start immediately, unless you are using expensive stuff, I see no reason to wait.:)

Biollante