Festival of Fishkeeping. Show them UKAPS!

Moody

Prolific Poster
Aug 31, 2006
Wirral, North West,England.
Having read my copy of PFK (May Isue) it apears a great opportunity to advertise UKAPS.

The show is giving the opportunity societies called "society furnished aquaria". The scoieties can display two aquariums and can be furnished from either their own materials or from the materials provided ( which only consist of a complimentary bag of plants:rolleyes: . Each society will have their own partioned area. The public will judge the displays on the basis of which one they would want to see in their own homes. How cool is that?:cool:

We could get intouch with Richard at aquaessentials to see if he would sponser our tanks for furnishing in exchange for an advert on each display. (??)

I know UKAPS hasnt realy form as such but by october we could be well on the move.

Thoughts guys?
Graeme.

PS: No Divers, sunken castles or crockadile bubble heads allowd!!!!! Im NOT joking:D

George Farmer

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2006
Stamford, Lincs, UK
Great idea.

It would be a great opportunity to showcase UKAPS and the "proper" planted tank, from an equipment and aquascaping perspective.

I was at the festival last year (part of the PFK team) and the display tanks were mediocre at best.

I can get "free" plants direct from Tropica and Greenline.

AE may well be interested in loaning some hardware. If not then I'm sure I can blag some stuff from elsewhere. PFK tends to have stuff left over from reviews etc. I'll have a word with Jeremy Gay.

Paul Fox could supply some CO2 gear, he does quality regs etc.

The tricky part would be to create an instant aquascape that looks mature. If my ferns on wood and anubias on stones are still going then I don't mind using them, they're pretty big now, enough to fill a 60cm. Tropica do a good selection of XL plants too, so that would work. Greenline also large mature plants. I'm sure we could come up with something effective.

Imagine an ADA-style 90cm with glassware and overtank lighting etc. Give the punters something to admire, even though the vast majority are fish-only.

Anyway, great idea. Can't believe I didn't think of it myself!

themuleous

Junior Poster
Aug 18, 2006
Oxford
Excellent idea, would think that between us we should be able to sort kit, etc out. Not that my tanks would be up to it looks wise but I would think it'd be relatively easy to empty and move some of the many nano tanks that people have, easy to empty and transport, unlike bigger tanks.

Would certainly make the trip myself.

Sam

George Farmer

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2006
Stamford, Lincs, UK
I've just read the info that Graeme refers too.

New this year is a competition of Society Furnished Aquaria....judged by visitors to the show. Societies can build up to two furnished displays....24x15x12" tanks will be provided with light, filter and heater (if required)....gravel, rocks, livestock and ornaments will need to be supplied....a complimentary pack of plants for each entry....but we're allowed to bring more plants.

It's an excellent opportunity for societies to promote themselves as each entry will have a partitioned section with the three walls available for soceity info....

Sounds good eh?

Moody

Prolific Poster
Aug 31, 2006
It does. It shouldn't be to difficult to creat two scapes that look mature. Two styles would be cool, one jungle type ( old school Amano say ) and the other an Sonzo Iwagumi ( perhaps like Amanos new designs) . Matured moss on stones will work well for grownd cover, and will be easy to transport and can look instantly mature, or go for the brighty sand look. Carful planning will hide any possible spots that would ordinaraly look imature.

On the partion wall, there could be pictures of members scapes etc.

George Farmer

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2006
Stamford, Lincs, UK
Moody;16054 said:
It does. It shouldn't be to difficult to creat two scapes that look mature. Two styles would be cool, one jungle type ( old school Amano say ) and the other an Sonzo Iwagumi ( perhaps like Amanos new designs) . Matured moss on stones will work well for grownd cover, and will be easy to transport and can look instantly mature, or go for the brighty sand look. Carful planning will hide any possible spots that would ordinaraly look imature.

On the partion wall, there could be pictures of members scapes etc.

Reading my mind, Graeme. Now we just need to get hold of someone that knows how to aquascape..... :D

Equipment wise I'm not sure if we can provide our own tanks or we have to use there's. I know we can use out own lighting, filter etc. so glassware and overtank lighting will look the most impressive. That alone will impress the visitors. 99% won't have seen a lily pipe before, let alone an ADA-style NA in the flesh.

I'll e-mail the organiser this week.

Slackey

Junior Poster
Jan 7, 2007
Bedfordshire UK
Just a thought, but would it be worth contacting ADA Europe (possibly through AE) and other manufacturers to see if they would be prepared to sponsor a scape? This could open up the opportunity for them to show case their equipment along with UKAPS displaying a quality scape. I do not know if there are rules to what equipment has to be used or where is comes from but we could use this as an opportunity grab some sponsorship and show what can be acheived with some of the best resources available ie Tropica plants, ADA hardware, Eheim filters, Giesmann luminaires etc

If they are generous enough to donate the equipment we could possibly give it away in some form of competition, maybe via PFK. Just imagine a full page spread in PFK 'Win this scape , as seen at the Festival of Fishkeeping';)

Moody

Prolific Poster
Aug 31, 2006
That would be great, im a little skeptical about ADA and other big companies donating some of their high end brands, they may see it as a group trying to get quids in if you know what i mean, don't know. It is a really neat idea, but i would be gutted to see it go home in someone else's boot, that would be a bummer .

Do we think high tech is the way to show these tanks, like i said, on e jungle type and one iwagumi, or should it be a mix of one high tech and one low tech.

Going full high tech will be gob smacking,but may put off allot of newbies just looking at the cost alone.

It would be great to show off some pico and nanos too!

Regards,
Graeme.

themuleous

Junior Poster
Aug 18, 2006
Oxford
All sounds very promising, cant say Id be able to help much with the scape, but happy to offer my services wherever needed even if its just keeping the tea flowing during the day :)

Sam

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK
I will sort a decent discount for UKAPS members with regards to the c02 items George has mentioned :)

Means I could be working on three stands at the show... the Uk discus association, catfish study group and now this one:eek:

I know a top tank builder, so I could get the tank supplied I think(?)

john starkey

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
worcester uk
General Dogsbody

Hi guys i may be new to the planted side of the hobby but i am more than willing to help out anyway possible, A general dogsbody for the day if you like.:D

Voo

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
If there are many of these festivals, then maybe something needs to be thought up about creating a display tank that can be transported each time. This would allow you to create a more spectacular tank that is well established and doesnt look 'new'.

George Farmer

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2006
Stamford, Lincs, UK
I e-mailed the organiser to register UKAPS for the "society furnished aquaria" competition earlier this week, and am waiting on a reply. If I've not heard by this weekend I'll phone.

I've been in touch with Aqua Essentials and they're not reallyt interested in loaning any hardware. Fair enough, as he can't really sell on second hand gear. There are plenty of other sources, so no worries there.

I'm sure Tropica would be happy to supply the plants in exchange for some advertising, product samples, leaflets etc.

I'll get in touch with some aquarium and other hardware manufacturers.

Paul Fox mentioned something on supplying quality 24x15x12 tanks too, I believe. Is this right, Paul?

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK
George Farmer;16227 said:
Paul Fox mentioned something on supplying quality 24x15x12 tanks too, I believe. Is this right, Paul?

I am waiting for a phone call, but yes, I am hopefull on this one:)

FelixWabi-Kusa

Junior Poster
Apr 24, 2007
i dunnno if i could make it to the show
but i could do some wabi-kusa setups for people to see, they are great for newbs as they cost virtually nothing and are really easy and natural

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
No offense to any of you out there, but is Liam off TFF a member yet?

His moss laden shrimp tank is my favourite planted tank at the moment and he says he only suckered this here and tied that there (although he has had to let it grow)

I nominate Liam as an aquacaper of 1 tank as I'm sure no body else at any show would make a tank look like this one. Have a look

post-22112-1176253399.jpg

What do you guys think

Andy

sandfire

Junior Poster
Apr 30, 2007
Hi guys,

I only live a couple of miles from the venue, if you need a extra pair of hands.

Charlotte

George Farmer

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2006
Stamford, Lincs, UK
Firstly my apologies for recent lack of activity. Busy, busy....

Good news. I've had an e-mail back from Peter Anderson and will be speaking to him this week hopefully, if I get time (I'm in the middle of moving house.....)

Hi George,

Thanks for the interest in registering for the Society Furnished
Aquaria at the Festival of Fishkeeping.

I'm sure we can get your society involved in the display. Having looked
at your website I feel we can offer your society more opportunities to
promote yourselves. I am running the club furnished aquariums but am also
involved with the FBAS show organisers. I will phone you in the next day or
two and discuss further options.

Once again thanks for the interest and I hope both societies can work
together to promote the aquatic hobby.

Look forward to working together
Peter Anderson