Fertilizing Amazon Swords

OrbsofMoonlight

Jan 13, 2019
California
Hello Plant Experts!

I'm new-er to growing plants in my aquariums and just wanting to make sure I've got this straight. Right now, I have an amazon biotope-inspired aquarium set up with a whole bunch of various amazon swords. They're planted in ecocomplete (which I thought had nutrients--whoops) topped with sand and I stuck some root tabs in the substrate to help them along. I'm noticing that some leaves are turning yellow and then disintegrating. I don't think it is melting, they've been in there for about a month now.

Am I correct in thinking that because swords take up nutrients from their roots, that there is no point in me dosing liquid fertilizers via the water column? Is there anything else I can do to make sure they're happy?

IMG_4714.jpg

Reactions: Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
UK
Plants can uptake through their leaves and roots, it just makes good horticultural sense to feed both sites. Nice tank btw.

OrbsofMoonlight

Jan 13, 2019
California
Thank you! I guess I was just worried all I would grow with water column ferts was algae, since to the best of my knowledge swords don't really take anything in from their leaves.