This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Fertilized substrate or not ?

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Kharn, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Kharn

Kharn Junior Poster

Hi everyone :)

Im in the procces of setting up a 120g tank.

I have bought Florite red and peat..
    Im just wondering if this will be enough or should i also buy ex Powersand or something similar to get the substrate Fertilized.

Im using presurised CO2 and EI.

Dont wanna do anything wrong this time hehe

Best regards Jimmy from Sweden

PS i know theese questions might been answerd in other threads but its in the middle of the night here and im too tired to find them ..im of to bed now 3 h untill work sigh.. :)

2. riverrat

riverrat Prolific Poster

Re: Fertilized substrate or not ?

I am no veteran of planted tanks yet. I am still a noob. But from what I have read. The concenses would be to gather as much mulm from a established tank as possible. Then dust the bottom of the tank with peat. Don't over do it. You should still see the glass through the peat. Then add mulm and substrate. Thats it!

Probably best to confirm this with more seasoned hobbyist. But I'm pretty sure this is the way to go.

Good Luck

riverrat

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Fertilized substrate or not ?

If you are going this direction, you need not worry about the substrate except uproot the plants and fluff any excess mulm out of the substrate once twice a year.
    EI is going to provide all the ferts you need and allows the plants to grow very well right away.

Main things to consider whenever setting a new tank up:

Use all the mulm you can find and add to the filter and to the gravel
    Add a little ground peat
    Plant the tank very heavy from the 1st day(this is the most common new tank set up problem, do not "wait for the plants to grow in"!!!).

Crank the CO2 and fertilize at about 1/2 dose for the first week and do water changes 2x a week for the first 2-4 weeks and keep up on things.

Regards,
    Tom Barr