Fert Tabs For Emersed??

maddog1240

Junior Poster
Sep 4, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi, I'm growing H.C. and a couple other plants emersed in a empty tank right now, I was wondering if fert. tabs would help it grow faster?? and which ones do you prefer??:rolleyes:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

It would help us help you if you provided more detail such as:

substrate used
c02 yes/no
lighting/type/intensity
fertilization yes/no
tank size
etc

Gravel tabs will help some plants more than others IME.

If you are using a plain gravel substrate they may help.

Better idea is to use either flourite, ADA, etc.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Using an empty tank, with just the substrate in it, to start a carpet of plants like HC changes the "rules" we follow a little bit. Since there is no water above the substrate you don't need to be worried about ammonia or urea, so an ordinary garden type fertilizer will work. You do have to be careful not to over fertilize that way, or it will "burn" the plants. And, when it is time to add water to the tank you need to be pretty sure all of the ammonia and urea havae been converted to nitrates, which means several weeks should pass since the last use of that type of fertilizers. Aquarium fertilizer tabs should work fine too, without the ammonia issue.

maddog1240

Junior Poster
Sep 4, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks guys, sorry I didn't check this for a WHILE!

--Well I have a 260w light on from 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning to around 9:00 at night, and it seems to be growing VERY good, but slow.
--I'm using ADA AMAZONIA substrate
--Obviously no co2 (emersed)
........and I forgot what else you wanted but that's pretty much it.

And for the other dude;
So your saying Fert. tabs WILL work??
(Sorry but I'd rather not chance it with regular fertilizer, I'm not good with that kind of stuff)

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
From what i have read i would recommend leaving the lights on 24/7, or so thats what they say. That should be the first step in the right direction. Also are you keeping it properly hydrated? A good misting should be done a few times a day or more. I am in the process of setting up a pvc pipe with some fine holes to a water pump on a timer so that it will auto miust it without the hassel of having to always check it.

hope this helps

-chris.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
With ADA Aquasoil you don't need to add any fertilizer to the substrate. It is already there.