ferrous gluconate tablet

awerland

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2005
Tom

I have a 265 gallon planted tank with CO2 (manually turn off at night) and three 175 MH lights at 5500k each with a Seachem Flourish substrate. I have had problems in the past with algae and recently rearranged/pruned my landscape in hopes of getting rid of the algae. I also started using your estimation index and hopefully this will help get things moving along with the nasty algae that I had in the past, I also have SAE's and Amano shrimp as well as other "algae" eating fish. However I would like to put the maximum fertilzer inside my tank to help promote fast growth as well as keep the algae away. I read somewhere you can use "ferrus gluconate tablets" (from the vitamin section at the grocery store) as an iron tablet under swords and such. Is this correct???

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: ferrous gluconate tablet

awerland said:
Tom

I have a 265 gallon planted tank with CO2 (manually turn off at night) and three 175 MH lights at 5500k each with a Seachem Flourish substrate. I have had problems in the past with algae and recently rearranged/pruned my landscape in hopes of getting rid of the algae. I also started using your estimation index and hopefully this will help get things moving along with the nasty algae that I had in the past, I also have SAE's and Amano shrimp as well as other "algae" eating fish. However I would like to put the maximum fertilzer inside my tank to help promote fast growth as well as keep the algae away. I read somewhere you can use "ferrus gluconate tablets" (from the vitamin section at the grocery store) as an iron tablet under swords and such. Is this correct???

Yes.
Sure, but it'll never solve your problem.
Put the CO2 on a timer to come on/off with the lights.
Nutrients will help, but good CO2 will help more.
Both will do the best job.

SAE's anmd shrimps are good for a little, but at this scale it requires many of them.

I have a 350 gal tank, but I have them for a little icing on the cake, not algae control. If the CO2 is off, I'll immediately have a lot of work to do.
Those herbivores will not put a dent in a serious problem.

The EI will solve many nutrients issues for anyone really.
But the CO2 is still an issues that no fert routine is really going to solve.,

At least this narrows it down to CO2 then.

If you go to the trouble of fixing and pruning a tank, make sure to add the nutrients/CO2 back correctly right afterwards.

Otherwise leave the tank till you are ready to clean it.

Regards,
Tom Barr