This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ferrous gluconate stability

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by Rodrigo Peralta, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Rodrigo Peralta

Rodrigo Peralta New Member

Local Time:
    12:26 PM
    Hello Guys

I made a ferrous gluconate stock solution 80g/L (around 10.000ppm),
    but second I read ferrous gluconate is no stable in aqueous solution.
    So have somebody noticed some precipitation or some loss of efficiency after a period ?

Regards

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    4:26 PM
    Hi Rodrigo! Welcome!

Ferrous gluconate is not as stable as iron chelated to EDTA or DTPA. Gluconate form of iron is available to the plants for a while, but then it precipitates.

However, gluconate is very well absorbed by the plants when it is present in the water. It is probably preferred by the plants because it requires less work and energy to access the iron in Glucoante than in EDTA and DTPA. Most of us who have played around with various form of iron eventually figure out that a combination of Gluconate and DTPA works best.

Don't worry about the lack of stability of Gluconate. This just means that you may need to dose a little more iron if dosed as Gluconate.

3. Rodrigo Peralta

Rodrigo Peralta New Member

Local Time:
    12:26 PM
    Thank you Pikez

Yes, I know the iron gluconate quickly absorved by the plants and also degrated by the light,
    I am just worrying that my stock solution will degrade/precipitate 100% before I finish my 500ml bottle.

4. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    10:26 AM
    Mostly will depend on the PH of the water you use to make the solution. Adding 5 ml of distilled vinegar to 500 ML should keep it stable. Citric acid works too, vinegar is easier.

5. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    11:26 AM
    I use iron Gluc from Flourish comp and the instruction suggests refrigeration after 3 months opening. Gluc is a type of sugar so it is suceptible to bacterial degradation. I poured the liquid clean onto a measuring spoon to dose. Never use a syringe to dose to avoid introducing bacteria to seed growth.

Won’t vinegar or citric acid trigger fermentation. I recalled reading Tom Barr stbalized Gluc with excel.

6. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Excel is ok if you're worried about mold but it doesnt get the PH/KH down, which to my knowledge is the primary factor in gluconate (and other micro elements) being stable.

Unless something has changed recently, Tom uses tap water + vinegar for his micros, along with gluconate as a small part of his Fe

I use distilled water + vinegar for my custom blend, it contains all the same micro elements that are in Flourish Comp + Fe gluconate + Fe DTPA.. I dont keep it refrigerated and have never seen any mold or precipitation, weird color change, etc.

It stays crystal clear and the exact same color. But I have also not keep many mixes over 3 months either.

I dont know what Seachem uses as the base water or to stabilize the PH, but Im pretty sure they just dont want people who keep it for a very long time getting mold is why they say to refrigerate after 3 months.

Excel obviously kills/prevents bacteria, but it's doesnt have an indefinite shelf life either (might be another reason they say refrigerate after 3 months).

As for the possibility of fermentation I really have no idea

7. Immortal

Immortal Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thankyou Burr for the information on micro preservatives.

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    4:26 PM
    I rage through Trace mixes every 2 weeks or so. So nothing last too long. You can add both, vinegar 1st, shake good in hot tap water, this destroys the KH............then add the Trace mix you want..............then some Excel at the end.
    For auto dosing of 20 liter vats, I just make them 1/2 strength 0.75% Glut and add the macros and the traces to two large containers, then dose daily. Harder dKH's, I'll use CMS and DTPA, lower dKH tap water/tank water..............I'll add some Fe Gluconate. I will generally use HCl for the larger vats, I'll use the pool acid 23%, adding about 10-20 mls per liter 1st, then wait a few minutes, then the traces.

You can mix better with with hot water, so if possible, mix with that, then the acid, wait and shake a bit, then the trace mix, and shake and mix good.
    Some have used potassium sorbate, a common food preservative.

Generally, most acids work well, but 5% distilled vinegar is safe and cheap, and .......available.
    It pickles things for years.

Immortal likes this.
  9. Joel Kay

Joel Kay New Member

Local Time:
    11:26 AM
    Hi Tom, At what dKH do you consider water to be soft and when do you consider it to be hard?

10. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    8:26 AM
    I bought the smaller bottle of Seachem iron in November? It's been enough to last me until about the middle of this month. Now,I might have used it more often because its a 240 gallon and I had never dosed iron..I now know my tap water has no iron thats measurable until you get to billionths of parts.
    I ordered the 500ml and that should be good for 4 more months or more..maybe.After that I might get brave and order gluconate and Iron from Aquarium Fertilizer.com. But!..Seachem formula works so well I wonder if I would have the same thing? The algaecide properties of gluconate is a fantastic bonus.
    I'm almost a Johnny Appleseachemiron seed nowadays!