Feeding otos

rcalzadilla

Prolific Poster
Oct 17, 2007
South Florida
My otos are getting thin since algae amount is diminishing in tank. They are darting about, like they are crazy.
Are sinking algae wafers the right food?
How much should I feed and how often?

125 gal tank, bottom feedrs: 11 otos, 2 plecos, 6 corys

Comments?

raul

fjf888

Guru Class Expert
Oct 29, 2007
Northern Virginia
I have 2 Ancistrus (Bristlenose) plecos they are about 4 inches. I drop a couple algae wafers in there every night after lights out,. I am in the same boat now you are in now, I have virtually no algae. Without knowing how big your plecos are I would drop probably 4 wafers for the plecos and otos every day to every other day at lights out. Occasionally you can supplement with boiled zucchini or some other green food. You don't want them to feed too much because you want the otos to pick algae off your plant leaves, they are good for that.

Fred

tkos

Junior Poster
Sep 7, 2007
I have found my oto's won't take algae tabs but then I have lots of algae so it hasn't been a concern. Now would be the time for you to try to get them to take a new food before the algae becomes a serious issue. Plus for plecos, they just need tons of food to thrive. I would try a combo of zuchinni or cucumber and algae tabs at lights out. Remove any uneaten food in the morning. It make take them some time to figure out its food so keep it up until they do.

Dusko

Prolific Poster
Apr 20, 2006
Sweden
Algae eaters can't survive on algae alone, they also need "meaty" food in form of microorganisms (and probably some sorts of bacteria). I wouldn't worry much about the Otos in such huge tank but Plecos should have more and sinking tablets will work well as well as Bloodworms for example.

I have tested Zuchini with some L numbers, Otos and Gibbiceps they came on to it for a short while and never returned back to it.

Some aquarists culture algae on stones (in another tank), and once it becomes green it's been fed to the Algae eaters. That is the way I feed the "always hungry" Neritina snails in my shop.

What I have observed;
Each time I take my filter out for cleaning, some dirt normally comes out of it. My Otos go crazy sucking on leaves or anything else in that area. Filters are full of various microorganism and bacteria that these guys will feed on.

Regards, Dusko.

Dusko

Prolific Poster
Apr 20, 2006
Sweden
tkos;21139 said:
I have found my oto's won't take algae tabs but then I have lots of algae so it hasn't been a concern.QUOTE]

In my experience Otos will refuse algae wafers. I tested a bit;
I fed them instead with the Cory/Loach (hi protein) tablets, and look what happened...they started eating it (proving my statement above). I also feed Ancistrus with Cory/Loach tablets, they go crazy after it.

How much should I feed and how often?

I feed 1 tablet per 3-4 Otos and one per 2-3 Ancistrus, 3-4 times a week.

Try, doesn't cost much ;)

Regards, Dusko.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've never seen an otto eat an algae wafer.

They really like algae, diatoms and periphyton films.
If you really want to "feed" them, grow some nice algae films on some rocks, small piece of slate etc, then rotate the slate pieces in the tank.

Reg ferts, water, sunlight, current: rocks, that's all you need to make their "live food".

do this weekly at a min and daily if you really like them.

Regards,
Tom Barr

fishcop444

Junior Poster
May 20, 2007
Reno, NV
my Otos and pleco really shred the blanched spinach leaves I put in the tank from time to time. They seem to like it more than zucchini...

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Put some ferts in a bucket outside(inside if it's too cold etc, add some flat rocks and place in full sun.

Add rocks to tank to fed.

Regards,
Tom Barr