Fe uptake and active Fe in plants

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
hbosman;117867 said:
So, I take it that there's no reason to go above .3 ppm? I currently dose .25 ppm daily from CSM+B and DTPA.

I've not seen much differences above this amount.
Some species might grow faster I suppose, but.....I'm hard pressed to notice it.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
hbosman;117867 said:
So, I take it that there's no reason to go above .3 ppm? I currently dose .25 ppm daily from CSM+B and DTPA.

I've not seen much differences above this amount.
Some species might grow faster I suppose, but.....I'm hard pressed to notice it.

Tyler Makin

Subscriber
Jan 30, 2015
Hamilton Ontario Canada
I dosed enough seachem nitrogen when I first bought it for 200g by not reading the label correctly into a 40g.

I now know how long it naturally takes to start reading into the testable range again. Surprisingly nothing died.

Stan510

Nov 28, 2019
Hayward ca.
IRON is the most important nutrient to dose. You want large sword plants? deep green ferns? Iron. If anything,,algae will wane as your plants green up.
I'm pretty sure the other micronutrients are not needed as iron seems to unlock everything they need but high Co2. But,for those basically land plants grown underwater,Iron might not be enough..but for old school aquariums plants..even Crypts,iron helps very much.

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
IRON is the most important nutrient to dose. You want large sword plants? deep green ferns? Iron.

How many ppm of Fe are you speaking of ???

I been measuring plant uptake from the water column for about 1.5 years.
The highest daily consumption I've found was .015ppm per day in an extremely heavily planted tank.
I target .25ppm in the water column, not three doses of this per week.

Stan510

Nov 28, 2019
Hayward ca.
I haven't measured it since I have no kit. But its 240 gallons and has some huge thick stands of Vallisneria getting sunlight and of course overhead lighting with both LED and fluorescent.
I'm using Seachem Iron over garden Iron with Zinc that's sold at garden centers. Seachem says theirs is formulated to be uptaken by aquatic plants. Might be true.
I know,I got fast results with Seachem...you could see the flush of greenness come over all the water plants in less than a week. I add three capfuls per week. I think that's about the minimum and might try more. Its made a huge difference in Swords,Tiger Lotus,Crypts including wendtii and balansae. With swords too..it's reached the largest size by far since I added it over a year ago. No Co2 is used.
I'm sold on Iron. It works.

Stan510

Nov 28, 2019
Hayward ca.
I had Bolbitis heudelotii melt months ago..and just now I see a new crozier being sent out of the rhizome. It's a renowned fussy plant in non Co2 systems and the Iron has been the only change.

kizwan

Aug 17, 2019
Kedah, Malaysia
One of my tank have high nitrate around 40 ppm according to the API test kit. I have tried increase phosphate but nitrate remain high. I can't really tell if iron is low but when I test it by putting hydrilla in the tank, new leaves have white-ish color which show iron deficiency. Is this the reason why nitrate remain high?

stevefarmer

Sep 2, 2023
Gosford, NSW, Australia
I recently purchased Flourish trace, I have been using Flourish "Comprehensive", and I note the Trace does not have any Fe in it.

Rotala Butterfly suggests 0.2ppm for FE, which seems to be in line with this thread, so I am thinking I will add some EDTA Fe each time I add Trace.

Is this a sensible approach?

This is what is missing in Trace compared to comprehensive apart from small amounts of macros and Mg, CA. I don't think any of these are critical but I may be wrong!
Iron
Sulphur
Chlorine
Sodium

Last edited:

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
If you have the Flourish trace on hand then yes. If not then, I would suggesting getting a more concentrated/cheaper trace mix .
S is actually not a trace but a macronutrient. Luckily, just like Cl and Na, it is commonly available in most tap water and/or gets added with other macro and micro nutrient solutions. If you look at the components of Seachem Frourish Trace you will see many of them come from sulphate or chloride salts. They are very often just not reported in the content list.

stevefarmer

Sep 2, 2023
Gosford, NSW, Australia
If you have the Flourish trace on hand then yes. If not then, I would suggesting getting a more concentrated/cheaper trace mix .
S is actually not a trace but a macronutrient. Luckily, just like Cl and Na, it is commonly available in most tap water and/or gets added with other macro and micro nutrient solutions. If you look at the components of Seachem Frourish Trace you will see many of them come from sulphate or chloride salts. They are very often just not reported in the content list.

Thanks for the reply,

I didn't realise there were different versions of flourish (doh). I am using K2SO4 in my macros so S should not be a problem.

I will definitely get a different trace mix next time I need trace elements!

Reactions: Allwissend