This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Fe fertilisation

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by laka, Feb 26, 2007.

1. laka

laka Prolific Poster

I have laterite as a substrate. my tank set up is only 2/52 old. Do i need to add iron in the water column until the roots get established in the soil? What is the prefereed uptake of iron by aquatic palnts? roots/leaves/both? Do i need to add liquid iron in the tank beyond the initial acclimatisation stage?
    What do you recommend for a good liquid chelated iron fert. if i need one?
    LAKA

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

All plants seem to be able to take in nutrients from the foliar and root sources.

So, based on that, adding nutrients to both locations will yield the best results.

Tropica Master Grow is the best product I've used, followed by Seachem's Flourish and Sera.

I'll have a new dry mix trace out this summer, it'll have the best chelators on the market and is based on Rice research(Rice is an aquatic grass after all), about 20 different species of aquatic plant elemental composition %'s and what has yielded the best practical ranges for aquarist.

It'll be about 10X or more cheaper than any of the commercial brands and be sold in the dry powdered form. It'll also have the best chelators for both soft and harder waters, fast uptake and slower uptake transport etc and a wide range of the best chelators not merely for Fe, but for all the trace metals.

The ratio is about 25% weak to 75% strong chelator.

It'll be about 50$ a pound and will make 50 liters. 5 liters of TMG cost 69.99$ plus shipping for 10lbs, so the cost is more than 10x less.

I have to try out my creation and test it first though.
    Greg Watson will sell it and I'll also sell some to Aquaessentials if they are interested(I'd imagine they would be given the reduced shipping cost and obvious benefits).

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. laka

laka Prolific Poster

Greg Watson sells dry powdered 10% iron chelate? Is this product as good as the commercial iron supplements? I note it is cheap and would probably last a long time.
    LAKA

4. laka

laka Prolific Poster

Also what is "Plantex CSM+B"? I assume it contains Fe + micronutrients such as? What is a better supplement then that contains Fe. The dry powdered Fe chelate or Plantex CSM+B.
    LAKA

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

I have never liked the CMS personally, that's the product he sells.
    That will change in a few months though to something better than anything else on the market, and it'll be 10-20X cheaper.

For now, use TMG.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. cazandchris

cazandchris Subscriber

fe fertilization

will we be able to get your new csm equivalent online. I live in Sydney?

7. Frolicsome_Flora

Frolicsome_Flora Guru Class Expert

I just got some TMG. Just incase its worldwide, its been rebranded as Tropica Plant Nutrition. Incase that helps you find it.

Incedentally, does anyone know whats in TMG? Tropica seem to not wanna tell anyone.

8. defdac

defdac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Open the booklet outside the old TMG-bottle (the front sticky is actually a small booklet) or inside the new rebranded Plant nutrition paper boxes. You can find Claus at Tropica answering the same thing at APD years ago:

Tropica Fertilizer
    "It is no secret! We tell it in the declaration on the bottle
    (K 0.79%, Mg 0.39%, S 1.01%, B 0.004%, Cu 0.006%, Fe 0.07%,
    Mn 0.04%, Mo 0.002% Zn 0.002%. HEEDTA and DTPA as celators).
    We have the idea: "aquarium owners have the right to know what
    they put into their aquarium"!

9. Frolicsome_Flora

Frolicsome_Flora Guru Class Expert

thx defdac.. its odd its not on the new packaging anywhere at all, or the website either.

Im I right in assuming that TMG contains all the trace elements needed?

urrg. yes it does say it, i was being totally blind. thankx!