This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Fe EDTA 11% - Need help

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by Omar EAZi, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    6:47 PM
    So I ordered the Fe EDTA 11% dry fert from GLA, I checked on rotalabutterfly calculator and it said to mix 44.7 grams with 1000ml of water, and dose 10ml into my 65gallon tank, so I went and did that, my water looks red now, is there something wrong with the calculation or is this normal?! never used any other Fe besides Seachem Fe, and water would only get red with Seachem Fe when I used to overdose sometimes. If anyone knows anything about this please help me out.

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Pretty sure you have DTPA 11%, not EDTA., which is just a different chelate. Either one should not turn your water red at this amount

3. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    12:47 AM
    I agree with burr740. GLA sells DTPA which gives the water a light yellow tinge at higher ppm. I use it too .. never had red color.
    The solution color will be reddish brown.

4. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    Yes sorry my bad, it's DTPA, as someone suggested on another forum, it might be the Fe reacting to ammonia, so I have a busy night today doing major water change. I think adding the huge livestock suddenly gave me an ammonia spike.

yeah the sollowing looks reddish brown(dark). the 44.7grams for 1000ml of water sounds reasonable right?! that's what I'm worried about.

5. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:47 AM
    These are the mixing and dosing instructions for iron chelate 13% we give in our website: Mix 1/8 cup (20 g) in 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water to make 10,000 ppm solution. Add 1/8 teaspoon (1.25 ml) of this stock solution to 12.5 gallons (47.3 L) water for an initial concentration of 0.26 ppm. Periodically add stock solution at this dosage or as required to maintain about 0.10 ppm iron in solution.
    And yes, 44.7 g in 1 liter of water is too much. Iron is a micro nutrient and the plants only need a very small amount.

Omar EAZi likes this.