This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Fe Availability Revisted

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by csmith, Sep 6, 2010.

1. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    5:10 AM
    I'm currently dosing my weeks worth of ferts all on Saturdays (WC day). Is Fe available throughout the week or is it gone within the first few days? Dosing both CSM+B and DTPA in liquid micro mix.

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:10 AM
    The Proof Of The Pudding ("They" Do Say) Is In The Eating

Hi,

Depends... :confused:

I suspect you are “pulsing” that may not be all that bad. :)

The best way to judge is by the aquarium. :cool:

Biollante

3. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I thought that Fe got locked up pretty quickly when in contact with other factors in the water? Meaning that the plants take it quick and thencan't get the rest

AC

4. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I dose NPK once a week on water change day but, dose CSM+B and DTPA (4:1) on a daily basis just to make sure Fe is always available. My water has DKH of 6 and a total hardness of about 130 ppm. This has been working fine for me and since I dry dose, it's not to complicated for me.

5. Oreo

Oreo Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Well, the "total" iron level in the water column definitely persists. I can also buy reagents to specifically test for Ferric ^3+ or Ferrous ^2+ iron, if that makes any difference. Is one better then the other? Or is one not bio-available? (ferric / ferrous?)

Worth at least mentioning in this thread that I have tested & observed that UV exposure will remove the iron residual from the water column.