Fe Availability Revisted

C

csmith

I'm currently dosing my weeks worth of ferts all on Saturdays (WC day). Is Fe available throughout the week or is it gone within the first few days? Dosing both CSM+B and DTPA in liquid micro mix.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
The Proof Of The Pudding ("They" Do Say) Is In The Eating

Hi,

Depends... :confused:

I suspect you are “pulsing” that may not be all that bad. :)

The best way to judge is by the aquarium. :cool:

Biollante

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
I thought that Fe got locked up pretty quickly when in contact with other factors in the water? Meaning that the plants take it quick and thencan't get the rest

AC

hbosman

Guru Class Expert
Oct 22, 2008
Leesburg VA USA
I dose NPK once a week on water change day but, dose CSM+B and DTPA (4:1) on a daily basis just to make sure Fe is always available. My water has DKH of 6 and a total hardness of about 130 ppm. This has been working fine for me and since I dry dose, it's not to complicated for me.

Oreo

Guru Class Expert
May 6, 2010
Well, the "total" iron level in the water column definitely persists. I can also buy reagents to specifically test for Ferric ^3+ or Ferrous ^2+ iron, if that makes any difference. Is one better then the other? Or is one not bio-available? (ferric / ferrous?)

Worth at least mentioning in this thread that I have tested & observed that UV exposure will remove the iron residual from the water column.