Fast growing stems

GTR

Prolific Poster
Jun 4, 2009
SoCal
I'm not very well learned in this hobby so this is that sort of question. lol

Tank has only been up for about 9 months. About every three months I've had to completely take out and replant the Ludwigia repens and a couple other stem plants. What happens is the stems develop so many roots above the substrate that it pulls up and starts floating. I have 3 different stems as a background and they all basically do the same thing.

Is this just what happens with these fast growing weeds? I'm beginning to see the value of slower growing plants. lol

SteveU

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Yup, that's stem plants for ya.

You need to keep them regularly trimmed (probably need a trimming every week or two). Trimming them regularly will encourage new growth creating a bushier plant (which will look a lot better than long 'leggy' plants).

GTR

Prolific Poster
Jun 4, 2009
SoCal
I guess it is what it is. lol

Trimming just creates a bushier plant and makes it a little more difficult to keep the plant in place. So it looks good for about 6 weeks and then you start over again.

SteveU

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
When I plant stem plants, I get a plant weight strip and cut a 3/4" to 1 1/2" piece off with my tin snips. Then I fold it into an "U" shape. Near the bottom of the stem, I place this piece of a plant weight and gently close it around the stem until it is snug but not crushing the stem. Then I plant it. Normally the little weight strip keeps the stem anchored in place. Then when or if I pull the stem up, the weight comes up with it for reuse. I like to use the heavier plant weight strips for doing this.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Try stripping more of the lower leaves so you have more bare stem within the substrate. If you sink it deep enough, they should not float up, unless disturbed or the substrate is loose around it. Planting several stems together will sometimes cause this more frequently.

Plus, trimming the tops is usually done after nice roots are established, so the new growth should be well anchored already....Replanted tops will grow new roots within 5-10 days or so....

I found this site before and watched a few of the videos. I though they were worthwhile for the most part.

http://www.oliver-knott.com/youtube-oliver-knott-videos+M52087573ab0.html

Last edited by a moderator: