This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Eye of the Shrimptigers

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Kyalgae, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:55 PM
    That would add a lot more PO4 than K, hold off on that. If you were to add anything K2SO4 would be a nice add. I think it's more a matter of new tank shock to the plants, combined with high ammonia/nitrite levels. Water changes more than anything will help.

Kyalgae likes this.
  2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    [​IMG]
    I will never forget the original design of your tank. It was truly unique, and completely successful aquascape.
    Seriously it was just so pretty.

3. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:55 AM
    I'm glad you liked that one, the issue with that tank was that I had probably over 200 planaria in it, they were killing my fish and shrimp. When I killed off the planaria I killed at least 200 MTS. The organic load just overwhelmed my tank, and the algae went crazy.

Mike k and DutchMuch like this.
  4. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:

I did dose some monopotassium phosphate today, but I am about to do a 90% water change. When you mentioned potassium, I just went ahead and dosed it, I was in a hurry at the time. Things don't look any worse.

5. Mike k

Mike k Member

Local Time:
    8:55 AM
    Great read! I really like this type of tank. I tried shrimp. My rams tried them too. I think I have a couple left. Someday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Shrimp are fun to watch, a little 10 or 20 gallon, some mosses and wood, a filter of some kind and you're good to go. I use RO water and a KH/GH booster from Salty Shrimp I could leave the tank for 6 months, just topping off water and they would be just fine. Feed them food if you want to see lots of breeding.

DutchMuch likes this.
  7. Mike k

Mike k Member

Local Time:
    8:55 AM
    I have just the spot for a 20. I just need to convince my wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    DAY 12

I did a 90% water change last night, then I followed that one up with another 50% change this morning, I did add some GH booster, along with both of the changes. Fingers crossed.

Mike k likes this.
  9. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    DAY 13

I'm going to do another 90% water change. My other plants look better, but my myriophyllum is slowly dying from the bottom up still. What should I do? Should I cut off the green parts and replant them? Or leave it be? Anyone have experience?

wpYJsD2.jpg
    lvWxunb.jpg

10. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    one of my rotala nanjenshen stems did this, I just shoved the whole thing down further into the substrate and its fine now.
    I think for future reference you should split your TC's up more.

11. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Day 17

The Good:

- Cryptocoryne crispatula has grown a couple inches
    - Monte Carlo is sending out runners
    - Staurogyne seems to be growing the best
    - Really isn't anything algae-wise
    - I've done 2 90% water changes in the past 4 days.

The Bad (sad)
    - Myriophyllum is all but gone, 95% rotted away, so I snipped the tips off and replanted (Live damn you! Live!)

The Ugly
    - My plant mass is low I think, since I lost what was supposed to be my fastest growing plant
    - There is a little bit of stringy brown (diatoms?algae?) that attaches to dead leaves

I added a little KH2PO4 (1/64 tsp) 1.3ppm, I brought in another light, ~100 par just in hopes of the Myriophyllum making it, bumped the CO2 up a bit, I have the second light on for 7 hours (I'm getting desperate). Here are some pictures taken in the daytime, they don't look as good as at night, but I wanted to give a little update. I also turned on the vortec powerhead on low. Th plants just really bubble more with the second light on. I know I'm risking algae, but I also don't want to lose a plant, and I see tiny bubbles forming on the Myriophyllum with this second light on.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    may look a bit sad now,
    but image it half a year down the road :)

Kyalgae likes this.
  13. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It's been 17 days now and I have used up most of my 10lb cylinder of CO2. I notice a lot ends up burping out of that abomination I call a reactor. I can drop the pH but I am running out of co2 after only 3 weeks. So that means my reactor is garbage really. I switched to the inline atomic diffuser for a few days and I just haven't seen much growth on the plants. I was looking back at @edelry.junior 's journal to get an idea of what he was using for the CO2 reactor, as we have similar size tanks, so I have a ITSA turbo reactor coming. I'm losing sleep over CO2. I don't think a cylinder change every three weeks is normal.

DutchMuch likes this.
  14. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    :rolleyes:

Unless your putting in like 50bps you have a leak.
    In my 65 I haven't had to change the co2 and its like 20bps for about 8 hours a day/night.
    Connected to a diffuser.
    And ive had that canister since... I started the 65 its been filled. Havent had to change it yet. Its also connected to my fluval, 2 block manifold.

15. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    DAY 32

Here's a little picture before maintenance:

[​IMG]

6 days was my last water change, too long in my opinion, but unfortunately couldn't help it. I added 10 cherry shrimp, and nearly gassed them I think, the something caused them to tumble around through the water, and stay stuck to the filter sponge on the powerhead for most of the day. I turned the CO2 down, and they went back to normal the net day, but I have been slowly increasing it again. I switched out my reactor and put an ISTA turbo CO2 reactor in place. I don't know if it's any better really, I will say that my tank degasses faster. Monday I dosed full EI, potassium nitrate and monopotassium phosphate. I did this because the plants really weren't doing much, the Hygrophila seems to have responded well and the staurogyne is growing a bit better, it was getting a whole bunch of holes in it before the EI dose, new leaves look healthier I think.

Here are some pre-maintenance shots.

Lovely Cyanobacteria
    MigVwTM.jpg

Hygrophila coming back!
    [​IMG]

The Cryptocoryne crispatula seems to be trucking along.
    [​IMG]

The unidentified pond weed @snarkingturtle do you know what this is?
    [​IMG]

#95 Kyalgae, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    snarkingturtle and Dale Hazey like this.
  16. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Full tank shot after maintenance, kind of meh, but things are growing, not as fast as I'd like. There's a huge hole where the myriophyllum was supposed to be...I am going to put some Rotala bonsai in there soon. All the bubbles are from the hydrogen peroxide I used to hopefully kill off a bit of the cyanobacteria I couldn't manually remove.
    lmzqY3m.jpg

#96 Kyalgae, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    snarkingturtle and Dale Hazey like this.
  17. snarkingturtle

Local Time:
    It looks like Chara which is actually a macro algae. There's a bunch of species and I'm not sure which yours is. Most like alkaline conditions. I'm curious to see how it does!

18. edelry.junior

edelry.junior Graphic Designer
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    10 pounds in three weeks sounds like a lot. I have disassembled my 60 liters and switched to a bigger tank, with 140 liters. My CO2 setup though, is basically the same, I just switched to a thicker hose diameter (from 12/16 to 16/22).
    This is the stuff I am using, right after my EHEIM 2075:
    1. JBL Inline atomizer
    2. Sera 1000 Reactor
    Dissolution rate is at 99% to 100%. It really works, and it works very fast. 2kg of CO2 (roughly 8 pounds I guess) last a bit more than a month, something like 40 days.

I am still taking a beating from this new tank. After 2 months things are still very far from what I had with my 60 liters tank. I am glad I decided to buy this shitty tank (10€) and try things out before moving to the bigger one. Going through all the mistakes I made with a 300 liter tank is definitely not fun.

This is the current state (please forgive the phone picture and the terrible state of the glass):
    IGGKr75.jpg

19. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks @edelry.junior I actually just hooked up a Sera 1000. I have an atomizer as well, but for now I have it with the CO2 line hooked directly into the tank. I did a much needed maintenance today. My KH has to be near or below 1 degree. They new waters pH was 6.75 before the filter mixed it around, and my pH is read 5.53 right now with the CO2 going. I will say that I still have a bit more left in my cylinder, so I haven't run out just yet. My growth is slow though. haven't really pinned it down yet, so I have been apprehensive about trimming my plants more aggressively. I don't really have my dosing schedule nailed down either. After my change I dosed 13.77 ppm of nitrates and 1.31 ppm of phosphorus. (KNO3 and KH2PO4 respectively) A little stumped.

I have to say the plants look happy at least, they are growing.

#99 Kyalgae, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Mike k likes this.
  20. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Here are some pre-maintenance shots, a lot of the older growth is covered in this paste-like algae, no staghorn or BBA thank goodness, the odd bit of hair algae but usually only on a dying stem. I have a jug of flourish trace, but with all this talk of custom micro mixes i feel like I'm doing something wrong using the stuff :p I did buy a bottle of Aquavitro Propel, which is just iron though. I don't really know how many days I should be dosing that though, and what target ppm? 0.2, 0.07? less? I noticed before I started dosing KNO3 the staurogyne was showing yellowish parts on older leaves, and it might be nitrogen deficiency. Going forward I am making sure I write down everything I add, and the times I add it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9ONKiHm.jpg

[​IMG]

Mike k likes this.