External CO2 reactor and regulator high pressure

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

I noticed that since I installed my Aquamedic 1000 external CO2 diffuser, I need a higher pression on my valve: from 1 bar (14.5 PSI) to 3 bars (44 PSI) now. It is inline with the filter output, so I think it is due to the water pressure.

I'm just wondering if my regulator, needle valve or the solenoid won't be hurt on the long run with such a high pressure?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Can you instead keep the same or slightly higher pressure, but INCREASE the bubble rate? Looks like it needs more c02, not more pressure.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

No, if the regulator service pressure is below 3 bars (44 psi), I can turn the needle valve as I like, I won't get any CO2 out in the reactor. Starting at around 3 bars (44 psi), I get my bubbles quickely out even at a very low bubble/mn count.

Before installing the external reactor, I could get my CO2 at a service pressure of less than 14 psi (1 bar). I also added a second valve check to secure my solenoid from water backflow and that could add extra pressure. I'm sure the water column from the external canister is responsible for that extra pressure.

Do you think my solenoid and Dennerle plastic check valves will do it on the long term?

edit: ok, on the dennerle instructions, their solenoid is ok for 7 bars pressure and their regulator for up to a 6 bars pressure, so looks like I should be fine

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Just seems strange to need so much. You mean that you see no c02 entering the inlet in the reactor unless the pressure is that high?

I had an AM1000 for years and never had to go that high???

Just keep an eye on your fish to avoid c02 gas poisoning........

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
It's strange so...

Could it be related to my strong pump, Eheim 2028? Also note that it is inline with the filter outlet, not filter inlet, so there's a positive pressure by the water column I assume

wilsar

Prolific Poster
Jan 10, 2009
jonny_ftm;35987 said:
I could get my CO2 at a service pressure of less than 14 psi (1 bar).

standard air pressure at sea level is 14.696 PSI. the reason for increasig the pressure is becuase of the increase as you go below the surface of the water level. i dont believe the regulators have very accurate measuring devices but i cant see that the increase in operating pressure should affect the life expectancy of the valves.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

I see what you mean. So, like I imagined, the service pressure increase is suerely related to the water column from aquario (reactor is below the aquarium level) + pump column head

I just can't understand how people pretend to use an external diffuser, inline with filter output, and not needing any service pressure above 14 psi

Also, this raises a new issue: I maintain my filter every 1-2 months. I imagine that the filter power will decrease with the dust between 2 cleaning periods. This would increase the CO2 bubble count without I modify anything (since the pump water column will decrease, the 42 psi pressure will cause more CO2 to be injected). Am I at risk to expierience new CO2 spikes that will kill my shrimps like previous times? Anyone with external CO2 diffuser inline with filter output would confirm those issue?

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
i have mine on the outlet of my eheim 2026, i just cannot see any way you would have 10+psi on that line. That would mean that the full force of the water exiting the pump which i dont even believe is at 10psi is pushing on your tubing or barb or what ever you have to hook it inline. Are you sure you have all the vales in the open position on your regulator/co2 bottle?

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Yes, they're all open,
I have two checkvalves and a solenoid.

So you think there's a problem? Maybe one check valve is being defective? They're less than 6 months old

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Is one of the check valves somehow defective? What kind of flow do you get out of the filter with vs. without the check valves? If your flow drops dramatically then you've got much higher pressure to deal with. If it's pretty much the same flow rate then I'm out of ideas as to what's causing the issue.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
I have no checkvalves on the water circuit

I have this CO2 setup: CO2 cylinder with regulator ---> solenoid ---> check valve 1 ---> check valve 2 ---> CO2 external reactor

The CO2 external reactor is an Aquamedic 1000 connected to the output of my 2028 Eheim external filter (1050L/h). The connection is using 16/22mm Eheim tubing without any reducer

The CO2 external reactor has a very high pressure inside. That is, if I open the drainage valve, the water will outflow rapidely out of it.

Are you sure my issue is not just related to the water pressure inside the external diffuser?

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Ah, I wasn't sure which check valves you were using. I've noticed the brass check valve I use definitely adds some back pressure to it. Just blowing through it requires a bit of effort, so that may be part of your problem.

-
S

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

I also imagined the checkvalves can contribute to it

In fact, I was mistaken, it is 28psi that I need not 32psi

I only hope the water column is playing a small role, so taht I don't see fluctuations in CO2 injected when the filtre gets clugged before cleaning it

I'll monitor carefully CO2 bubbles count, especially when the cleaning of the filter time approches

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
I'm having a problem with having to raise my working PSI to about 25psi before I get any bubble in my AM 1000 but I also notice last time I fill my tank when I disconnect my Regulator that my working PSI Gauge did not drop down to zero but got stuck at 15psi so I had to open it beyond 25-30psi in order to get a bubble into my AM 1000 reactor witch is hook up to a close loop with a Mag 5. I use to run my working pressure gauge at 20psi for years before this. So I don't think your issue is not related to the water pressure inside the external diffuser?

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Many thanks for your feedback

Ok, your feedback confirms the obvious: the connection to filtre outflow leads to extra pressure, thus needing extra psi on the regulator

To solve it once for all, I got a great idea: shut down my external filter and check CO2 bubbles count: it should increase significantly if my theory is true

This would lead to an obvious conclusion: when an external reactor is used inline with the output of external filter, the cleaning of external canister should be regular since any water flow drop will increase the CO2 in the tank unexpectedly. Also, a solenoid valve is required otherwise, in the case of a general power failure, your CO2 will increase its count and bye bye your fish

I test this tomorrow and let you know