This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Excesssive Pearling?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Frank Lawler, May 18, 2011.

1. Frank Lawler

Frank Lawler Subscriber

Local Time:
    11:32 PM
    My plants are all growing well with N,P,K and traces fertilization, as well as pressurized C02, but recently there has been a sudden increase in both brown algae and pearling. The Parrot's Feather in particular is covered in bubbles, and to a lesser degree the Wisteria as well. On the later, much of the pearling seems to come from the beginings of algae growth along leaf edges.
    It seems odd that I should be battling algae in a heavily planted tank with good growth.
    Might there be a connection between this problem and such extreme pearling? Thanks.

2. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Too much light maybe?

3. Frank Lawler

Frank Lawler Subscriber

Local Time:
    Well, it is the same amount I've had for several months: 55 watt @ 8hr/day over 29 gal, although I did put in a new bulb last week.

4. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Changing a bulb can make quite a difference in PAR. I've measured differences up to 30%. Maybe because of the increase in light there's a CO2 deficiency, hence the development of algae.

5. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Maybe it's cyano pearling.. it can be brownish.
    Can you post a photo?